x
Beta Member

zoho email verify

I am in the process of setting up my zoho email and I need to verify the domain. The options I can do that by are: updating the DNS TXT record, uploading an HTML file, or add CNAME in the DNS. Can someone show me how to do any of these with the square interface? 

I also use the free square domain, if that matters.

Thank you!!!

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Sadie3.  

You won’t be able to set up a custom email address using a free Square domain. That’s because the free domain (mybiz.square.site) is actually a Subdomain of a domain owned by Square (square.site). 

In order to have a personalized email address like me@mybiz.com, you need to purchase mybiz.com. You can’t create me@mybiz.square.site because you do not own square.site. Square does.  This is not a Square restriction, mind you. It is internet wide. We can’t create email addresses for domains/subdomains we do not own and control, because we can’t maintain DNS for them. 

To have custom email addresses, you’ll first have to purchase a custom domain for your business. You can do this through Square, which will connect it automatically to your web site. Then you can create email addresses for it — through Square’s email partner or using Zoho, GoDaddy, etc.

Square’s free domains are free for a reason. They are limited in their capabilities. Square is actually letting you piggyback on their domain. That comes with internet restrictions that mean there is only so much they can offer with their free domains. 

One other thing to keep in mind. When I tried to use Zoho mail I learned that the free tier did not work for custom email addresses. Only paid Zoho accounts could do this. I’m guessing you want a free e-mail server. I do not believe those exist for custom domains now that Google has discontinued their free Gsuite accounts. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Sadie3.  

You won’t be able to set up a custom email address using a free Square domain. That’s because the free domain (mybiz.square.site) is actually a Subdomain of a domain owned by Square (square.site). 

In order to have a personalized email address like me@mybiz.com, you need to purchase mybiz.com. You can’t create me@mybiz.square.site because you do not own square.site. Square does.  This is not a Square restriction, mind you. It is internet wide. We can’t create email addresses for domains/subdomains we do not own and control, because we can’t maintain DNS for them. 

To have custom email addresses, you’ll first have to purchase a custom domain for your business. You can do this through Square, which will connect it automatically to your web site. Then you can create email addresses for it — through Square’s email partner or using Zoho, GoDaddy, etc.

Square’s free domains are free for a reason. They are limited in their capabilities. Square is actually letting you piggyback on their domain. That comes with internet restrictions that mean there is only so much they can offer with their free domains. 

One other thing to keep in mind. When I tried to use Zoho mail I learned that the free tier did not work for custom email addresses. Only paid Zoho accounts could do this. I’m guessing you want a free e-mail server. I do not believe those exist for custom domains now that Google has discontinued their free Gsuite accounts. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Thank you so much for your help!! In the mean time yes I was looking for free but I know that would probably not be possible lol so thinking about it my shop is still pretty small so decided I'm going to stick with a custom Gmail for now (: 

Message 3 of 3