x

How do we gain a tax exempt status on our account?

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Tax Exempt Status

I work for a tax exempt organization. How do we gain a tax exempt status on our account?

Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

I've been looking for answers to your question, and I believe it all comes down to how you define your Merchant Category Code (MCC).  Since you want to be sure to enter it correctly at first (since it requires a call to Square's support team if you need to change it anyway), I suggest you contact them right away and get it done right, here at your start.

You'll need your customer code to call.  Follow the instructions below on how to get it.

Go to Square's support page.

Click “More”

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1  855  700  6000

Judy T Shumway

View Best Answer >

Message 21 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

This did not work for me. I just spoke on the phone with someone from Square and they said they do not offer tax exemption for tax exempt charities. 

Message 22 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hi @vgiordano - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. I apologize for any misinformation given over the phone 😓

I'm not sure what exactly you are wanting Tax Exemption status for but we do offer Tax Exemption for non-profit organizations on Square Hardware purchases, Subscription pricing, and we can correct a 1099-K if you were issued one by mistake.

Whenever you have a moment, please reply to this message with a little more information describing your question. I’ll be sure to follow up as soon as possible!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 31
Admin

@bbanks @GlassJudy I just wanted to add here that yes support can make sure you have the right MCC for your business. 

If you haven't already you can also add an EIN to the account from your online Dashboard:

1. Click Account & Settings > Business.
  2. Click Tax Forms.
  3. Click on the name of yoru business/a location to add your EIN.

There are a couple of other threads in the Community on this topic but you might be interested in these:

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 24 of 31

I have spoken to a number of reps who seem to find my request as new information. I would like to find someone who can accept the tax exempt form on behalf of my client so they may pay. I'm sure this is a possibility.  Perhaps one of you have worked in the past with non-profits and can shed some light on this. 

Message 25 of 31

If you are referring to the Hardware purchase Tax Exempt Form this needs to be filled out after the purchase has been made as we are unable to discount hardware from our store. 

If I misunderstood your question please let me know @EZL

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 26 of 31

As a non profit we can be reimbursed for the equipment? Thanks

Message 27 of 31

If you are a Tax Exempt individual or entity then you are eligible to get any applicable Hardware Sales Tax reimbursed after completing the Tax Exempt form @FinnandRail

JJ
Message 28 of 31

Thank you!

Message 29 of 31
Beta Member

I'm inquiring about this as well.  We are a 501c3 non-profit organization and I'm looking to purchase equipment from square.  Any help to speed up this process would be greatly appreciated.

Message 30 of 31

Welcome to the Community, @ucpacstaff

Thank you for reaching out about getting tax exempt status for your account and purchasing hardware. 

The best path would be to contact our CS Team directly to get this taken care of. They will have access to the account to make those changes & can get you in the right direction to make your hardware purchase at the tax exempt status. 

Please use this phone number: 1-855-700-6000. They are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm CST. Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 31 of 31