x
Beta Member

Round up an donate

Hey all! Saw a lot of posts about round up and donate. I put together a solution that seems to work on our end. In short - I have an item modifier called "donate", that a user can select if they want to round up. I built a custom app with the payments API to update the customers payment after the fact, with rounded up value. (if folks have any suggestions/improvements, would love to hear!)

Again - potentially easier said than done, so if folks want help I'd love to chat! Very passionate about nonprofits, would love to help with donations. 

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hey @Minion - happy to share! Here's a video of how it looks for the customer (demo'd on my iphone). 

Not pictured in the video, is the payments API updating the customers payment + recording the donation amount in our books. We worked with an app agency called sparechange for that (happy to connect if folks are looking). 

does this work for most folks? would love feedback/improvement ideas!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Awesome job on creating this work around.  Would you be able to show a demo or walk through of how you achieved this?  I think it would benefit many people if they wanted to incorporate that.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hey @Minion - happy to share! Here's a video of how it looks for the customer (demo'd on my iphone). 

Not pictured in the video, is the payments API updating the customers payment + recording the donation amount in our books. We worked with an app agency called sparechange for that (happy to connect if folks are looking). 

does this work for most folks? would love feedback/improvement ideas!

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

So what is the cost to install?  And how does it work to install on a Square register system?  The website when I click on the sparechange link doesn't seem very informative or even legit.  

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

It was free for me to install! I worked with them personally to set it up for my Square devices - so I think they'd do the same for your register. 

The integration has been good for us. (not sure if im allowed to drop their email here but DM me if ur still looking).

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

Hi Sahil, do you know if this workaround will work with the Square Registers or only the Square app?

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Hey @eaguilar on paper it should work for both (haven't had a chance to confirm it for myself). 

The developer that helped me asked where I would be charging my customers - so I'm sure there'd be able to help you adapt this for Register. (happy to connect if helpful) 

Message 7 of 7