x

Swiped credit card transaction processed as cash

We swiped a customer's card and entered the tip amount, but the transaction was never processed on the card, and it was recorded as cash. I see in the forum this has happened to a few people. Is there any reason or resolution for this issue? Obviously, we want it to never happen again as it was a large amount. I have the video of the employee swiping the card and entering the information on the screen. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @VoodooNK,

Welcome to the Community. Sorry trouble has brought you here.

Each time you use Square to accept a payment, you have the option to select  credit card, or record a cash or other tender (check or 3rd-party gift card) payment. This means your payment was recorded as Cash or Other Tender, as opposed to being processed as a Credit Card.

The Cash and Other Tender payment options are available for organizational purposes only. No funds are actually processed when a payment is entered as cash or other tender – even if the card was swiped, and we’re not able to process these transactions as payment card information was never actually entered into our system.

To process these funds and receive the transfer, you will need to contact your customer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Yes but it is on my credit card statement.  How do you get it off. I don’t want to pay interest on it or have to make payments. It was added to my balancep

Message 3 of 6

Hey there, @dblackston01

I want to gather some more information on the issues you're seeing with this transaction . Did you charge your own card? 

If you selected cash during the transaction, it wouldn't charge your card even if it was swiped. In the event your card was charged, you can always refund the payment to get your funds back to the original payment. 

Please let me know if you're still running into trouble or this missed the mark. I am happy to circle back. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

I didn’t mark anything. I ran it like I always do. I did ask go a refund. As of today it is still on my card

Message 5 of 6

Ah okay, @dblackston01

If you issued a refund, it can take 2-5 business days for it to fully process back to your card. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6