x
Beta Member

Tips not being reported correctly on Payroll app

Spoiler

We have having issues with tips not being reported correctly during the day.  When we look at reports the tips are showing about 1/4 the tips when compared to when we add up transactions individually - that error also transfers to our employees shift earning on the app - reporting way less than actual.   When I run a mock payroll for a previous day - everything seems ok.  

Any ideas?  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

@longtab This is absolutely correct and normal behavior.  The day of report is not accurate as the day is not settled.  I have told all of my employees the tips on the app are an estimate and are not final until payroll is run.  I'll give you several reasons why this is the case.

1.  If someone forgets to clock out the day before or stays clocked in this will skew tips and is corrected once the time card is corrected.

2.  People who are actively clocked in the system polls on a period not every second so to speak and there is lag between everything getting onto the report throughout the day.

3.  Online orders/sales...these are untracked team member and are generally added in at different times throughout the day or by the end of the day.

4.  If you run a labor report and then run a time card report the reported tips will be different depending on the way your company attributes tips.  The time card data (detail) report does not split tips according to the rules exactly the same in my experience, while the labor cost report is accurate.

5.  If you edit a time card, the report DOES NOT UPDATE immediately.  I usually give it at least 5 minutes before pulling a labor report for tips to be recalculated on a tip share.

There are a lot of factors that go on throughout the day that are settled when the day is over.  There are just a ton of reasons and it also depends on how you attribute tips, are they per employee or is there a tip share.

Hope this helps.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2