x

Tracking Unpaid Leave

The Oregon Sick Leave act requires small employers provide 1 hour of unpaid sick leave for every 30 hours worked. There is a tracking and reporting requirement. Is there a way to provide sick leave accruals without paying out sick leave pay?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@cosmicmonkey I would just offer some advice we do at our company that isn't in oregon.  We "front load" and give 5 paid sick days each year.  These can be taken at any time and are paid out at the end of the year if not used as a "bonus" at Christmas time.  It is an easy way to manage and control time off for sick and would be legal for you in Oregon from what I read.  It would eliminate you doing anything but notifying them quarterly of their balance.

If it is a matter of cost and you are not paying (since you are small), I would just run a report of hours worked each quarter and divide it by 30.  Maybe just keep a simple spreadsheet and give them the total each quarter (per the requirement).  I see you can cap it at 40 hours a year to be taken.  At any time you can run the hours worked report to get the exact amount "earned" for anyone.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3

Thank you Donna, this is a really helpful suggestion. We’ve never provided paid leave but have opted to begin doing so in 2023. This would simplify things. 

Message 3 of 3