x

Tip percentages based off of total sales - including deposits

I take deposits for every service that I and my employees render to our customers.

The problem is that when the customer uses the Square Terminal to pay, the tip percentages are based off of the balance and not the full amount of the service.

Here's an example:
- Customer wants to schedule a tattoo, so they leave a deposit of $50.00.

- The tattoo is completed, and the TOTAL for the services rendered is $80.00.

- I charge the remainder of $30.00 to the customer.

- Tip percentages in Square Terminal are set to 20% as one of the options, and the customer hits that option (thinking that they are tipping 20% on the whole tattoo).

- CUSTOMER ONLY TIPS ON $30.00 BALANCE and NOT the total cost of services rendered.

This happens on a daily basis and my artists are NOT being tipped the correct amount. They are getting angry with me, and I'm trying to figure out a way around this.

I know that there is an option to tip on the initial deposit, but who in their right mind would tip before their tattoo is finished?

I also know that there is a "custom" option for people, but most people just click on one of the pre-set options.

I would delete the Tip Percentages option altogether, but that would only hurt my artists that take on larger, more expensive tattoos, because as I stated previously, most people just pick an option (15%, 20%, or 25%) and don't like to be bothered to hit the "custom" option.

So here's my question: Is there a way to have the Tip Percentages built into Square Terminal include the initial deposit?

I know that this is a request from other service-based businesses as well, as I have read through the Seller Community's posts. Seems that there are a lot of businesses that could use this feature.

PLEASE HELP!!

Here are just a few other members that are seeking this same feature:
@iLumi 
@bloomwinetours
@Jackhammer 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @LucidTattoos - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community with your question👋 I'll go ahead and tag the others you've mentioned as well so they can see my reply: @iLumi @bloomwinetours @Jackhammer

First, I'll need a better understanding of how you're setting up these payments before the final checkout process. If you are completing two separate transactions (first for $50 and closing the sale, and then a second transaction for the remaining total) this would be considered expected behavior because the deposit and the remaining amount are not being paid within the same sale. So essentially, the Terminal is not able to tell that you're wanting to factor in the $50.00 payment into the total of the final payment.

To accomplish what you're asking for here, you may want to consider using our Open Tickets feature or Square Invoices. Both options will allow you to add both the deposit and the remaining amount to the same sale and will factor the final total into the tipping percentage suggestion.

I hope this information is helpful and is able to resolve this issue but please do let me know if you have any additional questions by replying to this thread 🙂

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2