x
Highlighted

[Request]: Button for Enabling/Disabling Sold Out Items For Online Store

Hello, there community. This is my first time trying to get engagement around my feature requests. This is a simple one: a quick way to mark an item as "Sold out" that can propagate from the Dashboard to the online store. 

My current work around:

Personally, I do not use the inventory features that Square has implemented, but I have found that if you mark your items inventory as less than or equal to 0, this marks the item as "SOLD OUT" on your online store. We run out of certain items at our restaurant throughout the day, so having a fast and easier method of doing this process would be #AMAZING.

For anyone still reading, if the Square API could expose more of the backend dashboard functionality, then I could even go crazier and create an apple short cut, make it a Siri enabled shortcut, and I could say "hey Siri, please mark ceviches as sold out on my online store". BOOM, done. But, I am dreaming here. These are trying times, and any minuscule amount of time savings equates to the world for us. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team

Re: [Request]: Button for Enabling/Disabling Sold Out Items For Online Store

Best Answer

Hello @incasperuvian.

Thanks for the really cool feature requests. If Siri could help, we would be golden. As of right now your workaround seems to be the best option. 

We'll make sure to pass this on to our Product Team. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello @incasperuvian.

Thanks for the really cool feature requests. If Siri could help, we would be golden. As of right now your workaround seems to be the best option. 

We'll make sure to pass this on to our Product Team. 

Sayra

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted

Thank you @sayra !!

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted

Zero inventory block sales through POS option

So I am utilizing Square for my online store. I totally have to use inventory tracking, and the online store portion works great. Now that we have begun exiting lockdown, and take away business has resumed. Many of the same items are sold through the online store AND brick and mortar. So here's the problem.... there is no toggle/option to prevent a zero inventory from blocking a POS sale. My customers could order something online and pay in advance dropping my inventory to zero. Before that online customer picks up, a brick and mortar customer can come along and buy that item (creating a negative stock and a p**ed off online customer) all because POS will not allow me to block a sale once inventory reaches zero. This is DISASTROUS, and causes me headaches every day. A simple option to block sales once reaching zero stock. I realize some merchants might want the ability to sell negative stock, so it shouldn't be a blanket change but an option to block a sale once sold out (the online store does it utilizing the same database, so it shouldn't be hard.)

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Admin

Re: Zero inventory block sales through POS option

Hey @burbelmaiers-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Unfortunately if you’re processing a sale from the Square app for in person sales, you won’t be blocked from selling an out of stock item.

This is intended to be this way. The thinking here was that if say you do not keep your quantity levels accurate (i.e. forget to update the amount after you receive goods), we don't want to block your sales if the quantity level goes below 0 on Square, but you actually have the item in stock.

Perhaps in the future we'll create a block feature, with an override feature to accommodate all sellers. In the meantime, this remains a feature request. Sorry about this. 

Isabelle
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

I realize the way it is set up and not asking that it MUST block, but the option to block is so needed. I feel like the old Seinfeld skit about rental cars. 

agent: I'm sorry, but we are out of cars

customer: But I reserved and paid on my card

agent: yes, but we're out of cars

At some point, why should anyone pre-order? Since accessing the same item database works on the online store to block a zero inventory sale, it should be an easy coding OPTION to do the same in the physical store.

Any chance of escalating this request please?

Kind Regards.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted

So...to be clear, my online store WILL allow sales even if the stock is at or below zero?

The in-store app allows it.

Just want to be sure that the online store allows it as well.

We don't keep a full inventory on hand, but can get product that is sold out fairly quickly.

Please let me know if I have this right. Otherwise I will work around and adjust my inventory counts to always be above zero. (would rather not have to do that though)

Thank you!

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Admin

@catawebBrio Sorry for any confusion. You will not be able to sell an item in the online store once it has hit zero stock. A message will be displayed telling the customer the item is out of stock. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted

For me, marking it “Sold Out” doesn’t help. It needs to be actually hidden in the store. Right now, I have low stock stock alerts set and I hide things manually.  I’m going to be taking a look at the API to see how I can code this as when I posted on this, that was the response I got from square. 

Having worked in software development this seems like a HUGE improvement that requires very little coding.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted

I am a Software Developer as well. Don’t waste your time. Their API does not give access to much dashboard data, like stock. The API is mainly focused on payment transactions and embedding square payment taking web apps. I tried 😞

Message 10 of 10