x

Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

I own a coffe house and need to set loyalty points for drinks purchased.  Not total spent. Is there a way to set points to be rewarded only on specific menu items? Like:1 punch per drink ordered?  I can't used the total spent because we also sell merchandise. I don't want to give rewards for anything but drinks. 

Message 1 of 95
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select 

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Verified Answer

Re: prevent rewards from being used on specific items

While it isn't currently possible to exclude specific items from loyalty redemption per-say, you do have some adjustable settings when editing the Redeeming Rewards portion of your Loyalty program, @kaliann91.

Instead of selecting Discount Entire Sale, you could choose any of the other options as Reward Types to ensure that the items you do not want to be discounted will not be included as a reward. I hope this helps!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select 

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 95 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
Square

@LSBS - Interesting feature request. 🤔  While I don't think that this is currently on the roadmap, I'm more than happy to pass along the suggestion to our product liaison team. Thanks for sharing! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 95

Thanks! I appreciate it! 😊👍

Message 23 of 95

LSBS  

We previously used a POS system that rewarded based on the customers average spend.

Since we are unable to do this with the Square system, we have set our loyalty

program up so that for every $1.50 spent, the customer gets a star.  When they have 10 stars they

receive a $1.00 off coupon.    Its not ideal, but for the most part its been well accepted.

Message 24 of 95
Square

Good example, @Northerncoffee. I'm happy to hear this workaround has been working for you and your customers. Thanks for sharing!

Message 25 of 95

First, I would like to say thank you to @Sean for taking this forward and props to Square for listening to its customers. I took some time yesterday and explored the new feature. I am in the same boat as @ranchosierra, it is close to solving the problem but not quite. We sell beer and offer several different glass sizes, growler fills, branded merchandise, and kegs. Currently we award loyalty points based on dollar amount spent. This works well (e.g. buy several small beers get the same points as one big beer) except I do not want to award loyalty points for keg purchases (much higher dollar amount than other items).  The way I see it, using the new "Item-Based Stars" I would have to enter my entire item inventory, except the kegs, into the loyalty program and calculate based on item price how many stars each item should receive. Besides being painfully laborious it also eliminates the "buy several small beers get the same points as one big beer" scenario. I feel that would be counter productive and in some ways could discourage people from buying smaller sizes, which are priced to have higher margin. So, in summary that is a no-go for us. I believe the easiest way to solve our issue is to allow exclusions to the loyalty program. Allow us to award by dollar amount, but exclude specific items or catagories; solves our issue and would work for others with similar situations such as @ranchosierra.

Cheers!

Message 26 of 95
Square

@ranchosierra @SAWbeer - Thanks so much for taking the time your detailed feedback. It definitely sounds like having the ability to exclude certain items or categories for loyalty programs based on dollar amount spent would be an essential feature for your businesses. I'll definitely be sure to pass along this thread to our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 27 of 95

Hi Sean,

Is there an anticipated release date for this feature, to exclude certain categories/items from getting rewards?  Our loyalty program is based on $$$ spent, but we would like to exclude low profit-margin categories.

Thank you,

ginnys

Message 28 of 95
Square

Hi @ginnys. I don't have any sort of timeline for this feature, but I'm happy to share your request. While I know it can be tough when you have a lot of items, you could chose a loyalty program by item, and then just exclude these low margin items. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 29 of 95
Beta Member

I have over 3000 items... and I want to offer only about half of them for loyalty program.

It will take way too long to assign them by specific items according to their dollar amount.

Not to mention it will get confusing since we have lot of new products coming in.

I'm guessing no feature to add whole category to loyalty program but by purchase amount. 

we have items in same category that ranges from $1~$100.  so 1 point for 1 item is not fair.

as of now still Just one star for one item purchase regardless of amount.. right?

I mean you guys have it all there... just not put together...

so you have function to give stars depending on dollar amount spent..

you also have function to give star points depending on specific category purchase..

there is even feature for giving star points on dollar amount spent on specific item.

why isn't there a fuction for dollar amount spent on all the items from specific category purchase?

so so so soooooooooo close... to what I need and sounds like others who posted here... 

or did I just completely missed it? 

I don't mind ringup same customer twice, dividing up the purchases.

loyalty program qualifying products and and non qualifying products.  untill this feature will be available.

My question is if customer pays with credit card, does he/she loyalty program adds the purchase automatically?

even if I didn't enter their info for the loyalty program?

Message 30 of 95
Admin

Hey @cornerstore, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this. I don't have access to a specific timeline for additional configuration options with Loyalty, but I'll be sure that the appropriate team members review your post. As for your question, your customer will need to actively enroll in the loyalty program for more details have a look here: Enroll to Square Loyalty Using Square Point of Sale.

Hope this helps clear things up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 31 of 95
Beta Member

Well said, @SAWbeer!
Message 32 of 95

This is amazing!! It's working!! It's just what we needed! You guys are awesome & I appreciate your awesomeness!! 

Thanks thanks thanks!!

Have. Wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Message 33 of 95
Square

@LSBS - Glad to hear. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 34 of 95

Now I have a couple questions. 

1Q- The option for adding a phone number after a purchase that has earned stars doesn't always populate. Is there any way to fix this issue so it doesn't happen SO often? 

2Q- How do redeem rewards "free drink"? The system doesn't have an option at time of purchase to deduct earned reward. I especially see this being problematic with cash transactions. 

Help! 😊

Message 35 of 95

@LSBS  RE:Q1

Can you clarify what you mean by "doesn't always populate"?

Not sure if this is what you are refering to but thought it might help.

We were seeing the Register app advance past the receipt page and skip the loyalty page where you would normally enter a customers phone number. What was happeneing is, the Register app associated this customer's loyalty profile with the payment card used. Had the customer used a payment card that Square did not recognize, they would be prompted to enter their phone number (their ID'ing info for the Loyalty program).

Message 36 of 95

The screen where the phone number should be entered after the transaction is complete doesn't always populate. Cash transactions especially. It happens at least 1 to every 5 transactions. 

Message 37 of 95
Beta Member

@SAWbeer and @LSBS, upon completing the transaction, if the customer has achieved the level to receive a star (for us $15), often times Square will ask for the customer's phone number when I know the customer is already in the loyalty program and has provided their phone number in a previous visit. This is usually due to a different form of payment (different credit card, paying by cash, etc.).
Message 38 of 95

It's almost as if the phone number should be asked before the transaction. 

Message 39 of 95
Beta Member

@LSBS I know what you mean by (1). Customers get frustrated when I have to keep asking them for their phone number. Re (2), I don't give an item as a reward, but there is a 'Redeem Rewards' item where you specify the customer's phone number, email address, or code (that they have been sent via text). Hope this helps.
Message 40 of 95

If doesn't offer an option for me to "redeem". It just starts the rewards count over again. When I search for a customer by phone, name or email, I can see they have a reward available but there's no option to actually redeem it. 

Message 41 of 95
Beta Member

@LSBS - consider Redeem Rewards as a separate item to purchase. I know that's confusing, but that's how you find it. Enter the sale as you normally do, I think Redeem Rewards shows up as the first category (I use an ipad, and that's where I see it).
Message 42 of 95