x

Print Barcode Labels

Setting up our new Retail Register and have two bar code price tag label questions:

1. It appears we cannot print labels directly from the Register, only from the Online Dashboard on a separate computer. Is that true? Not very efficient if so...

2. Does each item have to come equipped with a bar code of its own making or is there a way to automatically create one for it with Square? We sell lots of items that don't have a pre-printed bar code, for which we want to print a price sticker. Will we have to type in the name of the product at time of customer checkout?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

New hardware is always exciting, @generalstorepr

You're correct - to create labels, you'll need to be logged into your online Square Dashboard, which isn't accessible from your new Square Register.

Square will not automatically generate barcodes - in order to generate a barcode, you'll need to have a SKU for the item. If the item doesn't have a SKU, you can input anything you'd like the SKU to be (numbers, values, dashes, etc). However, you do not need to do this at time of checkout. You can set barcodes up for items without them before you start selling those items!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7
Super Seller

how do we print barcode/item labels? 

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @dasap1234

What kind of set up are you working with?

Here is a helpful thread in the Community with some input/steps other sellers have taken for creating those barcodes. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

If you want to use Square to print your barcode labels you will need Square for Retail Plus  (paid version).

Here is a link on how to do that:

create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail 

Another way is to have a special Barcode Label printer and accompanying software. 

Next is to have an spreadsheet ( Google Sheets for free) type in you SKU and then copy the SKU in another column and change the font to your desired barcode font (code 39 and code 128 are more popular)  Here is a link to specifics about how many and which characters you can use when creating specific barcodes.

comprehensive-guide-to-1d-and-2d-barcodes/ 

Here is how someone did it with a YouTube video.

label printing 

Here are some Free Barcode Generators:

barcode.tec-it 

barcodesinc.com 

barcode-generator.org 

I use a Zebra 420D thermal Direct printer with associated software and save my items and the barcode so I just select the item I want to print and then tell it to print 50 labels.  I want to do a video but have not had the time.  We manufacture our candles so, after we make 4 runs of about 60 candles in 3 sizes each, We can just go print out 15 of size and scent A, then repeat for B etc.  We also do this for items that do not have a barcode from our vendors. 

My suggestion is if you have a scanner print out some different test barcodes and see what works best for you.  With 1D barcodes like code 39 or code 128 the more characters you have the longer the barcode.  Square can have up to 40 characters for a SKU, Quickbooks limits SKU to 30 characters I believe.  The Ipad camera in a Square stand can be used as a scanner and can read a QR code.  Link to show a QR code can be read by Ipad and Square or a 2D scanner.

Link to :

QR code being read by Square and Ipad 

QR code stays closer to a given size with 10 -30 characters which is why I tried this.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing this detailed guide, @Candlestore with @dasap1234 😊 

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

your welcome

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 7 of 7