x

Are credit card fees returned for a refund?

Are the fees returned for cc processsing when a refund is issued?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller Alumni

Yes they are! You don't get charged anything if the full amount is refunded, and if it's a partial refund, the fees are charged only in ratio.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 13

So just to clarify, I created an invoice for a party, sent invoice with 50% deposit option checked, client paid by credit card, fees taken out.  Now they have to cancel the party.  If I refund the deposit it will refund their full amount and ALSO give me back the $20 fee I paid?

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

Absolutely - that's part of the beauty of Square.  Your customer gets a full refund and you get your fees back.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 13

I issued a refund of an exact amount of $224.00 to a customers card that the product was paid with.  However, I see a second amount of $218.08 transferred.  So does this mean the customer is only going to get $218.08 or will they get the $224.00?  This is so confusing.  I see the difference of $5.92 are fees.  So does the customer get $224.00 and I have to pay $5.92 in additional fees from my square balance?

Thank you

David

Message 5 of 13
Alumni

@SkinScience

Sorry for the confusion. You're not alone - most sellers are confused if the fees are given back when a refund is issued.

In short, there are no fees associated with issuing a refund. We only debit your bank account what was deposited from that transaction but your customer will be credited the full amount.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 13

That is not the question.  The question is does the seller have to eat the fees that were charged on the money now being refunded, or is EVERYONE made whole?

Message 7 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Bradleyscater 

If you look at the top of the thread, I told another seller - if you refund a seller, the fees are also refunded, and the transaction costs you nothing.

Everyone is made whole in a full refund!

In a partial refund the fees are partially refunded as well, and you are only charged in proportion to the money you keep.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 8 of 13

Hey Justin

Tring to stop a pending refund to the wrong customer..

Message 9 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @JL5005

Our Customer Success Team can help you stop a pending refund, however, the window we have to get this done is only a couple of hours. Please give us a call right away before the weekend as we are closed. 

Thanks! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 10 of 13

Fees are charged at point of sale but will I still be expected to render unto Ceasar when a full refund is issued to my customers?

Message 11 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @AustinTxWeird,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the thread for more details. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Message 12 of 13

Where is the thread?  

Message 13 of 13