x

Hand Written Gift Certificates

Does anyone have a good method to redeem hand-written gift certificates? I have followed other methods of redeeming it as a discount and it seemed like that would work. I set it to post-tax but when at the terminal it only discounts the product and still leaves the sales tax for payment. I can manually remove the sales tax off of each purchase prior to payment but then it doesn't make it easy for my cashiers to figure out what's left on the certificates and it doesn't include the tax in my reports. Am I missing something in my settings somewhere?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

@PageandFlame ;

What I have is a Punch Card System if a Person buys 12 candles they get the 13th one free.  I created a Discount for the Price of a Free candle.  This works for my system.

So with you selling a Handwritten Gift Certificate, I would make a Discount = to the Gift certificate or create a Price Adjustment = to the Gift certificate.  The problem would be if the Holder of the Gift Cretificate uses a portion of it with a Balance remaining for them to use the next time.  

For Example if the User buys a $100 Gift certificate and uses $25 with a balance of the Gift Certificate of $75.  You would have to keep track of the remaining balance somehow.  

This is why I used the Square Gift Cards to track the amount remaining.   You could always convert the Handwritten one to an actual Gift Card through Square, just relazie there is a fee for this when the Gift Card is Purchased or in your case assigned a Balance.

Square calls this a Load Fee plus the additional charge of the Gift Card itself.

Here is more on Gift Card Fees - https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5068-what-are-square-s-fees 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 6

I'm not too worried about keeping track of the remaining balance.

When I tested the discount method, I had a $20 purchase and a $50 gift certificate. I used a variable discount and selected the post-tax option. It still left the amount of tax as a total that needed to be paid. The only way that I could remove the tax due was to unselect the tax applied to the purchase. This makes a mess of the bookkeeping as I'll have to manually look for the transactions and add the tax back in.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

@PageandFlame ;

This brings me to another Question, Why are you removing the Sales tax on items?

When a Customer buys a $100 gift Card from me, and then the user uses the Gift Card for Items, and uses the Gift Card tax is applied at the time of the Item being sold based on Tax settings.

So if a Person uses the Gift card in my store for $100 of Shirts and Fudge no Sales tax is applied, but if the end user of the Gift card uses it for $100 of Candles then Tax is applied.  

Now again Sales Tax laws are different based on where you are and Local Laws.  

I just know that when a Customer here buys a Gift Card there is no sales tax included in the Price of the Gift card, since its $ for $ and not $ for Items.  This method also works on my online store.  When I sell where items are purchased the Sales Tax is included in the Final price, then the Gift card is used.  If I ship out of state then No sales tax is applied because of my Loacal and State Laws.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 6

I'm not removing sales tax on purchases when using a gift certificate. I was stating that was the only way that I would be able to remove the tax off of the ticket. 

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

back before we used Square gift cards we had a log book to keep the balances in.  So if a person had a $100 gift certificate and a $50 item it came to $54 and I would apply a $54 payment via "other gift card or Certificate"

Message 6 of 6