x
Beta Member

Shipping gift orders- Address field

I have had a few customers get stumped on how to fill out their orders when they want to send something as a gift. They can do this by filling in the recipientʻs name and address instead of their own in the shipping fields. But since there are no separate billing and shipping fields, this confuses some of them and they tend to put their own address in and then leave a note to seller or use the contact form to give me the address they want it mailed to. I can do that, but itʻs more time consuming and risky if I miss the instructions. Is it possible to add instructions into the shipping section of the site, or redesign it in some way so that customers can easily see how they should handle it? It would also be nice to have a checkbox for "this is a gift". And maybe checking that could bring up a new shipping field?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Thanks for your question, @BethanyReyolds.

Have you enabled gift options for your online store? That might make it more clear to your customers when ordering items that are intended as gifts for someone else.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Actually, I tried to do that yesterday. But when I got to the step of adding items, I got an error message saying to try again later. 😞 I havenʻt had time yet to try it.

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Ahh, ok! If you try again and have trouble let us know.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Thanks, I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

I read through the link you posted, which was helpful. But since the gift option shows up at the item entry, Iʻm not sure it will clarify the shipping fields question for customers when they get to that step. So I think this is still something the developer team should take a look at. Shipping fields can also be confusing for customers who may have different personal addresses for billing and shipping.

On many sites, this is handled by having both billing fields and shipping fields, with a checkbox to use if the address is the same for both. I think I understand that Square doesnʻt really need the billing address, so maybe this is just about making checkout look simpler? But I think thatʻs where the confusion comes from.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

I just tried adding items to the Gift Options list and still get the message, "There was a problem with your request. Please try again later."

Also, after "loading more" items several times and checking off a bunch of items (but not all), I thought maybe I should try just adding the option to a few. I had a "Seriously, Square?!?!" moment as it seems that I not only have to check off every item individually, I also had to UNCHECK all 200+ items individually. 

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Hi Bethany,

we do gift delivery as well and I find it extremely frustrating that even after 4 years Square still doesn't recognize the need to upgrade their checkout for gift giving business.

Check out my feature request, I'd love to get your feedback.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Online/GIFT-DELIVERY/idi-p/723958

Also if your interested here's my site https://www.stubbechocolates.com/

Message 7 of 7