x

How do I connect my new chip Reader?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 70
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can connect your new contactless and chip reader wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy or by plugging the USB cable into the hardware hub on your Stand.

To connect your reader wirelessly:

• Press and release your reader's button to turn it on.
  • Go into your device settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Open the Square app and tap the three lines, then Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader. (On an iOS device, you can tap Contactless + Chip Reader.
  • Press the reader's button for 3–6 seconds to put it into pairing mode.
  • Release the button as soon as you see the orange flashing lights. If the lights turn red, you've held the button too long and need to try again.
  • When your reader appears on the screen, tap it. That means it's paired. The reader will be listed as Ready in the app.

Have a look at the video tutorial below, and learn more in our Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

Connect via Bluetooth LE:

Connect via Square Stand:

If you're having trouble with your connection... 

• First, make sure you're using one a compatible device at http://square.com/compatibility.
  • Then, check that your device's iOS or Android operating system us up to date
  • Finally, confirm that you're running the latest version of the Square app.

This article has more troubleshooting tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting. If none of these steps work, I will escalate your issue. But hopefully we can figure out the issue to save you the extra back and forth.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

Sorry, I do not know how to reach Square tech. support. I wish you luck. I have the feeling that the chip reader will never be reliable with my Acer One Tablets. I can not believe Square can not develop a chip reader that is a seamless connection to Acer products.

Message 22 of 70
Alumni

We have a number of troubleshooting tips at the top of this thread here, which should help out. Making sure your iPad remains awake, so the reader doesn't fall asleep, can help too. Sorry for the frustration.

Message 23 of 70

I'm having this same exact problem. Paid for this reader & have NOT been able to use it since I got it.
Message 24 of 70
Alumni

You can always check out http://square.com/compatibility @eckoco. Right now we don't support Acer One tablets.

Message 25 of 70

Message 26 of 70
Alumni

I've merged your post with this thread. Can you take a look at the troubleshooting steps above?

If that doesn't work, you'll need to submit a warranty claim. This article explains the process: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5148-square-hardware-limited-warranty-and-returns

Message 27 of 70

Upon initialy receiving my chip reader I was able to pair it with no issues. Last Thursday I was unable to pair, so today I upated my apps and updated my Ipad and Iphone software and was able to pair the Ipad but not the phone.  I updated to version 9.3, hope that helps.

casilas

Message 28 of 70
Alumni

Yes, hope the device and app updates solve your issue, @casilas. And remember, you can always look through our troubleshooting guide for tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting

Message 29 of 70

I was able to set up my reader when I rec'd it. Was working fine until last week. Turned bluetooth on my android (yes os is compatible and up to date) and turned my reader on to connect and the phone wouldn't recognize it. Square app tells me "Reader not Ready" and "Reader Failed to Connect. Check network connection" The devices are sitting on the desk next to each other and both charged. Bluetooth and wifi working fine. I don't know what else to do. Both devices/apps have been turned off/on and reset (downloaded).

Message 30 of 70
Alumni

Sorry for all the frustration around connectivity, @spdlsa73. And it seems like you've gone through a lot of the troubleshooting steps. Can you try some of the tips outlined at the top of this thread? If nothing will do the trick, we may need you to submit a warranty claim: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5148

Message 31 of 70

So I have done all the tips above. I should now move to filing a warranty claim?

Message 32 of 70
Alumni

Seems like that's the best course of action, @spdlsa73.

Message 33 of 70

My reader sometimes has trouble connecting to my Android.  It manages to connect in the end, but it usually takes a few tries.  I suspect that my phone which is more than a year old (and seems to have other problems) could likely be the problem.  Do you recommend getting a new phone?

Message 34 of 70

Message 35 of 70

Message 36 of 70

Message 37 of 70
Alumni

Please follow the troubleshooting steps outlines above!

Message 38 of 70

I have an ipad 2 and am trying to figure out how to connect the square chip reader.   I have the 3 port doc connection port, but it's already full from: 1-product scanner, 2-receipt printer and 3-cash drawer.   Does square have a "4 port" connector? or is there a work around way to connct the chip reader into my current system?

Message 39 of 70
Square

@thewineshack - Your best bet is to look at ways of freeing up a USB port. Some cash drawers can be plugged directly plugged into a receipt printer v. the USB hub. Would you mind sharing what model cash drawer you are using? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 40 of 70

Thanks for the quick response.    My cash drawer is APG Vb554 and my receipt printer is Star TSP, both of which were recommended by square.

Message 41 of 70

Reciept printer is Star TSP143.

Message 42 of 70