x

How do I connect my new chip Reader?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 70
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can connect your new contactless and chip reader wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy or by plugging the USB cable into the hardware hub on your Stand.

To connect your reader wirelessly:

• Press and release your reader's button to turn it on.
  • Go into your device settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Open the Square app and tap the three lines, then Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader. (On an iOS device, you can tap Contactless + Chip Reader.
  • Press the reader's button for 3–6 seconds to put it into pairing mode.
  • Release the button as soon as you see the orange flashing lights. If the lights turn red, you've held the button too long and need to try again.
  • When your reader appears on the screen, tap it. That means it's paired. The reader will be listed as Ready in the app.

Have a look at the video tutorial below, and learn more in our Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

Connect via Bluetooth LE:

Connect via Square Stand:

If you're having trouble with your connection... 

• First, make sure you're using one a compatible device at http://square.com/compatibility.
  • Then, check that your device's iOS or Android operating system us up to date
  • Finally, confirm that you're running the latest version of the Square app.

This article has more troubleshooting tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting. If none of these steps work, I will escalate your issue. But hopefully we can figure out the issue to save you the extra back and forth.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Square

@thewineshack - Thanks for confirming, you should be able to use a receipt-printer-to-cash-drawer MultiPRO cable kit to connect your cash drawer directly to your printer. This would free up a USB port for your new reader. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 43 of 70

Thanks, Sean.   I've put in an order for a connecting cable.

Message 44 of 70

Sean-That cable didn't work for me as my cash drawer doesn't accept an RJ 45.  Instead i need a USB Type B male to RJ 11.   Any help with that?

Message 45 of 70
Square

@thewineshack - Well darn it! Sorry for the confusion. You may need to switch to a different cash drawer (not the USB powered one, like an APG VASARIO 1416). It may be worth reaching out to Star Micronics directly, I bet they'd be able to cover all of your options: 1-800-782-7636. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 46 of 70

I have Contactless + chipreader, fully charged, blue tooth on. I hit the tab, and all blue lights come on, but neither device can "see" the Contactless + chip reader. Ideas ?

Message 47 of 70

I have the same problem, only I have a Samsung Note.  When or if I finally get it to pair, when I go to use it again I have to re-pair it.  So frustrating! 

Message 48 of 70
Alumni

Sorry for the frustration. Please see the troubleshooting steps above!

Message 49 of 70

Message 50 of 70

How to use chip reader with a computer

Message 51 of 70
Square Community Moderator

@Maggie A few others had similar issues. You might find some information in this thread helpful! 

Message 52 of 70

af

Message 53 of 70
Square

Hi @woodnnest! Yep, you can use the new Square reader with an iPhone. Check out the answer above for more information. 

Message 54 of 70

My chip reader won't connect to my iphone anymore. I've rebooted the wireless & still won't connect.

Message 55 of 70
Square

@mtngirl Check out George's answer above for some tips on connecting your reader.

Message 56 of 70

Questions and how to

Message 57 of 70
Square

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble, check out George's answer above for help getting your reader up and running! 

Message 58 of 70

Unable to pair my square contactless + chip reader to my Droid Turbo 2. Anyone having similar problems or success ?

Message 59 of 70

@BJ1 check out the information that George mentioned in this thread. It should help you out with your connection issues.

Message 60 of 70

Samsung S7 - Updated all the various version. I have a square reader. Have install, uninstall, and install it at least 4 times. 
It just keeps saying 'connecting..."

Anyone, please.

Message 61 of 70

@keithbuzz Check out the information in this thread. It should provide some useful information. Make sure you have a solid internet connection and that you keep the Square Register app open while you're connecting the Square Reader. 

Message 62 of 70

I got a new phone and my reader wont connect....it says I need the app. I already have the app.??

Message 63 of 70