x

How to print a paper receipt to tip/sign periodically?

Most times, customers can approach the register and pay using the customer-facing pin pad, but *sometimes* they can't.

With our old POS, we could optionally manually run their card and have it print out a paper receipt for them to tip/sign using a pen. However, with the new Square for Retail POS system, it seems like you either always have to use the customer-facing pad OR always print out a paper receipt.

Is this true? Is there seriously no way to use the customer-facing pad 90% of the time, but also manually run and print out a signable paper receipt when necessary? This seems like a massive oversight.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hi @rjmburger- That's correct. You either have to have the sign and tip feature enabled for every transaction or not at all. I'm sorry for any trouble that causes.

Would you mind sharing why this feature would be beneficial for you, and why you need signed receipts just some of the time? It's helpful to know when sharing this feedback with our Product team.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 3

There are plenty of times we'd want to do this, but one example is that we have a customer in a wheelchair, and just given our general layout, it can be a bit of work to navigate and come up front. It is easier in situations like this for us to be able to print a signable receipt as a one-off. Clover allowed us to do a "Skip & Print" option for situations like this, but Square does not.

Another situation is if somebody is doing a curbside pick-up, we used to be able to take their card, run the payment, then bring out the order and a signable receipt. Curbside pick-up becomes useless if they have to come inside - and some customers just aren't tech savvy enough for us to issue them an invoice by email to their phone.

I'm going to be honest, this is one of many issues we've had since switching to Square. There appear to be no good remedies for many of the shortcomings we've encountered and Support hasn't really been helpful either here or by chat or by phone.

We're now looking at moving to Toast.

Message 3 of 3