x

Options or Variations?

Looking for advice on setting up our items and inventory. We have thousands of products. My question is two-fold.

First, for items that are the same, where the only difference is the flavor or scent (ex: Yum Brand Chocolate Bar... comes in 8 flavors: Almond, Coffee, Salted, Crunchy, etc). We'll be using Square for brick and mortar as well as online selling. Do you find it's more effective to have each flavor be it's own separate item, or do you prefer to use one item, and set up options or variations for the flavors?

Second, if you do set up options or variations, what is the difference and which is better for this type of product and variation? Again, same issue for many non-clothing items (Same bar of soap, 8 scents; same brand of nail polish, 10 colors; same brand of jam, 6 flavors).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

One item with variations of flavors, if you have thousands of items, you will likely want to consolidate the POS interface. If there are too many item buttons, they won't all fit on the screen and you'll spend forever looking.

When you say options, I am guessing you are referring to modifiers. Modifiers are for items toppings, add-ons, or special requests. Using the variations will allow you to have an inventory count for the different scent, color, ect. Modifiers don't have a stock count.

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the insight! I'm not worried about them fitting on the screen as we'll use a bar code scanner and/or type in the name of item to pull them up in a transaction. This is the screen I'm referring to in the Item section:

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 3.24.53 PM.png

We won't need the Modifier feature since we're not offering toppings or something like that. But I still don't understand the difference between Options and Variations. Seems like if we use the Variations feature, we won't be able to have a different photo for each variation?

Message 3 of 6

Ahhh, I see where you are looking at. The options allow you to create multiple variations faster. Instead of typing in all the variation possibilities, you can add the options of say color and size and have it generate all the variation combinations. The options can be applied to multiple items.

Options-Variations.png

Here is how Square defines each of these:

Variations already exist in Square and define the unique varieties of an item. Each variation can have its own cost, price, SKU, etc. For example, a ‘T-shirt’ can have a Blue, Small variation or a Red, Large variation.

• Option sets are attributes that define a variation. The combination of options & their values for an item forms the variation. An example would be Size and Color.

• Options are values within the Option attribute. Examples include Small, Medium, and Large.

Message 4 of 6

Is there a way to add a variation across the board without having to go and add to each individual product?

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Good question @cater2u222. Bulk editing isn't an option for variations right now but we'll definitely keep this in mind for development.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 6