x

POS inventory will allow you to OVERSELL and item with NO WARNING!

I am having an issue with overselling items even though I have inventory tracking ON and also low stock notice turned on.  Not as far online sales but at the brick and mortar POS system. At a minimum, when you attempt to ring up a customer with an item that has  ZERO stock, a message should pop up  saying there is none. Obviously, at location this should be easily overridden but some sort of notice is a MUST.   

Who else is having this issue?

Does anyone know what the Low Stock button even does?  I have never received a message/text/report of having low stock.  It only seems to show up to the online customers?

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Beta Member

@PreOrder_Apps Ideally we won't need a walkaround. This should be something that's automatically included in the POS.

(Toast does this by making the button inactive when sold out)

@Joe Any update on this? It's been a few months now... 

Message 22 of 38
Beta Member

I agree allowing us to oversell in the store affects our online sales, classes & workshops. I am not a coder, but this seems like a not complicated fix. I fear we may have to go with another provider because of this little but huge problem for our business even though we are overall very pleased with the square system. 

Message 23 of 38

This is an issue for us too. We are a non-profit and volunteers are switched out all the time. We have to manually track our sales so we don't charge someone for an item we don't have. What is the point of providing the stock information if it doesn't track along with your Point of Sale? That is the only reason we need it. Please fix. Thank you!

Message 24 of 38
Beta Member

We too have serious issues with this. Since we sell product online and in-store, this will allow us to sell something to an in-store customer even if another person has already purchased it online. This defeats the purpose of the shared inventory. 

Message 25 of 38
Beta Member

@nika @Joe 

Is there any update on this? It's been 8 months now and still nothing to hint that this is getting done or on the timeline. I keep seeing updates that are great, but not useful to everyone or doesn't solve a problem. 

Is there any progress on this? It is the most frustrating thing for us. 

Message 26 of 38

I was very surprised to see this was not already an option. Is there any update on when this will be available? If it's not going to be soon, we may have to look for other alternatives to Square. 

Message 27 of 38
Beta Member

This is built into our mobile apps already, so if you're considering an alternative - then you could just get an App from us, which connects to all your existing Square Inventory instantly. 

We also are 90% done with the first open-source, custom Square Website, which will have this built-in too - which we are planning on offering for free. It should be done in about 2 weeks or less.

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 28 of 38

I can't believe this is still an issue.  My shop was lucky to not need it for awhile but now we do with some added menu items!!! 

Message 29 of 38

@Square please fix this issue! I'm considering switching fully to Square from Shopify but this is the ONLY feature holding me back. My shop sells shoes and I get limited inventory of each size- I'd hate to be at a pop-up market and have sold all of a particular size then have a pending online order to fulfill for that same size if they're sold out. 

Message 30 of 38
Beta Member

Online ordering will not oversell if you track inventory and set it up correctly, only in person POS will allow the oversell even if inventory is set to zero.  You have to be putting in your starting inventory correctly and ringing things up correctly for in-person sales. If your inventory is accurate, then your mobile ordering will not oversell. It's not perfect but this is what we do in our shop.  

Message 31 of 38

I see what you mean but I’m still worried something will sell online and I’ll still be able to sell it in person. Shopify has the option to not sell a particular item if the inventory is at zero. 

Message 32 of 38

But that’s the main complaint.  Only selling online? Works fine. But for us selling online and in person it’s a huge problem. If someone buys the last one online and before they can pick it up or it gets shipped, someone in person buys it, it creates an issue.  There’s a very clunky work around if holding the item and checking the inventory but that’s just not feasible in a busy setting.  It’s such an easy fix. The info is there!! All we need is a pop up warning ‘you are about to sell an item with zero inventory’.    

Message 33 of 38
Beta Member

Agreed--this is a significant problem.  We have take and bake cinnamon rolls that we sell online, and keep track of in inventory.  In the shop, though, even if the inventory in the freezer is committed to other PAID customers, someone can walk in and purchase one, with no indication to the cashier that they've oversold.  It would be cool if there were just 12-24 pans to count, but sometimes we have upwards of 150.  

Message 34 of 38

Plus one. Please fix this, Square.

Message 35 of 38
Beta Member

I am having an issue with online.  It is allowing me to oversell a variation of an item.  If I have an item with a variation of red with an inventory count of 1 but the item count among all variations is 10 - it will allow me to place an order for 10 red.  I have inventory tracking at the variation level turned on.  Am I missing something.  

I do agree that something needs to be done about the ability to oversell an item - it just creates angry situations which causes a loss in business,

Message 36 of 38

Adding that our business also would like for this capability to be rolled out. I'd like for it to go a step further and have the ability to require that certain items need a passcode to oversell. We have a bakery business, and are wanting to add a self check out station for pastries and coffee, and need to be able to limit the number of items sold based on quantities we have on hand. Simply having a pop up saying that there is no stock wont prevent some people from adding and paying for the item anyways. 

Message 37 of 38

I recently noticed on my POS that the item is now get GREYED OUT when inventory is ZERO,  so big step up but, I agree a passcode for oversell would be a great feature!

Message 38 of 38