x
Beta Member

Please Stop Invasively Auto-Creating Item Name Based on UPC

This feedback pertains to the Square Register interface.

I've noticed that the Auto-Create and populate feature has become increasingly invasive in its effort to populate fields for you based on the UPC code that's been input into the GTIN field.

If I've filled the Item Name portion with a naming scheme specific to my business, I DO NOT want Square to auto create a new name for me. My naming scheme follows a very strict naming convention for myself and my employees. The auto-filled name is oftentimes a poorly scraped version of the item found online.

This is NOT a great UX.

Not only is there an auto-create box at the very top of the screen that I have to skip, now when I fill in the GTIN field down below, it'll behave in the same way. This is relatively new. Please, please stop this functionality.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

@JoyOnethanks for your post, I'm sorry you're having trouble using this new feature. I have not used it myself yet, but have you tried to first type your item NAME, and then scan your barcode ? I'm wondering if changing the input order would override the name getting auto populated ?

Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

Hi, YES! This is the most infuriating part. We'll type out a long name and when we scroll down to the GTIN field and input a new UPC, it'll CHANGE the item name that we inputted manually without letting us know (since it's at the top of the screen) and when we save we'll notice that it's like nothing we've wrote down. Infuriating!!

Again, this is all on the Square Register.

Sure we can input the GTIN first, but that means we have to scroll down first, input GTIN, then scroll back up to the name, input name, then scroll back down to the price and SKU. It's such a slow process when you're inputting about 100-200 new products every shipment.

Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

Is there a fix for this yet? Some of my wholesale marketplaces will link the item to my pos - handy feature when it's 100+ items...except they do not add the upc in most cases. When we go to the item that has been linked as a new item and scan the upc - square searched for the item info and changes the name if it find something. The biggest issue with this is sometimes it's not the manufacturer/vendor info - it's from someone else who sells the item online and you get a super long title with a string of keywords. 

Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

Completely agree!  We changed all of our item names to non gendered services and with the most recent change the developers made they ALL went back to gendered names, so I had to change them all again!! Very annoying. I call things what I call them purposefully. Don't change my stuff!

Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

Okay, so I didn't see your post when I searched for auto create, and I just posted the same thing. it's infuriating, there should be an off switch.

Little by little we human beings are confronted with situations that give us more and more clues that we are not perfect.
-Fred Rogers
Message 6 of 12
Beta Member

Raising this again. We name our items in advance of them arriving so we don't have the SKU until the item arrives. We name out items specifically the way we want them to appear. Then, we scan the SKU into the register and it changes the name to something else. This did NOT happen in the past - seems to be newish with a recent update. How can we turn this OFF?

Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

We input the GTIN for our products as sometimes we have a different sku. Lately every time we scan in a GTIN into the provided space (not as an auto create) the items title and description change. 

Is there a way to make this stop? Sometimes the name and description that auto populate (and override what I've already entered) are terribly wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Little by little we human beings are confronted with situations that give us more and more clues that we are not perfect.
-Fred Rogers
Message 8 of 12
Beta Member

Yes - and it's super annoying. Has anyone come up with a fix for this "update" yet?

Message 9 of 12

When adding GTINs to existing items using a scanner, Square goes out and looks for a GTIN 'match' somewhere in the ether and if it finds it, it automatically updates the title to whatever it finds out there.  Some of them are ok, but most of them are too verbose, not detailed enough, inconsistent in format, and sometimes downright wrong!

What I end up doing is copying the existing title before I scan and then paste it back over what Square automatically pulls in.  

It would be NICE if Square would at least GIVE AN OPTION of taking what it found or keeping what is there.

PLEASE.

Message 10 of 12
Square Community Moderator

@rustyravenng Thank you for sharing your feedback about the automatic title update feature when scanning GTINs. We understand your concern, and we'll pass this feedback along to the appropriate team.

In the meantime, I suggest continuing to use the workaround of copying and pasting the existing title to maintain accuracy.

If you have any other suggestions or encounter further issues, feel free to reach out to our support team for assistance.

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hello @StuffInBalloons and @rustyravenng 👋

Just got confirmation from our team that a fix for this issue is on the way. 

While this gets corrected for our apps, using the dashboard instead of a mobile device will avoid this issue. 

Thank you

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12