x

Smaller (prettier) Barcode Labels

Has anyone figured out how to make the barcode labels less awful.  We use a few different things like square including Shopkeep for other businesses.  The square barcodes that print through Square retail are so huge and make poor use of space.  Does anyone have an alternative to do smaller labels like a 1x1 for items that simply can't hold a huge label? Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

1/4 inch Aztec barcode1/4 inch Aztec barcode3/4 inch QR code as a barcode3/4 inch QR code as a barcodeI have used QR and Aztec codes for my barcodes.  These types of 2D barcodes can be about 1/4" square at the smallest.  I recommend using 3/8" or larger though.  I am not sure if you consider it prettier or not but I did it so all my barcodes can be about the same size.  You do need a 2D barcode reader to read these types of barcodes though.  The Ipad cameras can read the QR code with no barcode reader.  The smaller the code is, the closer the scanner has to be, so my ones on my labels that are 1/4" square i have to be less than 6 inches away, the larger ones that are 3/4 inch square I  can be about 15 inches away or more.  The Aztec code can be smaller than a QR code and read successfully.    The scanner is still able to read regular 1D barcodes.

Sorry tape measure is off, hard to hold and take a clear picture, also sorry for them being sideways.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

In the past I have used website that can generate barcode images, and I manual insert these into my page layout software which I then print to label sheets. It's a manual process, but I started with the Square POS that didn't generate barcodes. Once you have a system in place, it can go pretty quickly to edit/make new ones.

I purchase labels from Onlinelabels.com. They have different sizes, but I use the letter size and layout multiple labels on one sheet. and what it really nice is they stick to my retail store items, but they are still easy to remove. They also have online tools to help print barcodes.

Hint: I don't have a dedicated label printer, just a standard letter-sized printer. I found the printer can make a difference in how small I can make a barcode; my laser printer can print finer lines, so the barcode can be smaller. My inkjet spreads the ink more so tiny lines bleed together. You can also adjust how many characters are in the barcode itself; longer characters make a larger barcode, so if you can shorten or used "codes" to differentiate your items it may work better for you.

Good luck, I know it's the details in business that often create huge roadblocks, but I hope you're able to figure out a solution.

Message 3 of 3