x
Super Seller

Square for Retail - SKUs in Order

I appreciate the Square for Retail update a year or so ago that automatically creates an Item Number when you create a new item. However, the SKUs (item numbers) are all over the place. 

C731438

186931X

H964603

Q748147

When we first started with square, we picked a random barcode starting number: N1000 

and went on to N1001, N1002 and so forth

When we ran out of N, we moved to another letter. 

Can we have the option of having SKUs in order.

Use Case: 

Inventory Day is much easier when we have a list of SKUs (item numbers) in order. It's easier to find on an Excel sheet. Also, SKUs in order help give us a general idea of how old/new a product is. 

@Candlestore  @HC_Charlie  Any opinions? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

@TCSlagunaI can definately see that numbers in order is best for your inventory. I personally don't use the auto numbering. I first manually design my item barcodes (using SKUs that fit my categories), and I use that for the item number. Is the item number different than the SKU number? (maybe I'm confused 🤔 ....long day lol)

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

Sorry. Yes, I meant SKUs. 

SKUs by categories seem interesting. Can you please elaborate? 

Also, how do you keep track of what the last SKU used was? 

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

@TCSlaguna ;

You could create your own SKU's as you see fit to keep them in order.  I understand the logic behind that as my 28oz Jars all start with 28oz.... 16 oz jars their sku starts 16oz etc.   But I create all my own SKU's and mine are anywhere from 8 characters up to 30 characters in length.  I used 30 as that is the limit for an SKU in QuickBooks if I remember correctly.  

Now what you could do is get the items in excel spreadsheet  sorted by category and you may get the same items in an order.

You could also prefix the Squares SKU with your own codes for Category or type of item etc.

For example-

Votive holders in my case could all be prefixed with VH in the front

Pillar Holders PH in the front

Taper Holders TH

I think you have the idea- This would get all the same SKUs in order for you

Then create a Spread sheet for what each Prefix is for.  You can still let Square create your 7 Character barcodes then put a 2 letter prefix in front.  Your barcode will be longer though especially if you use a 1D barcode.  

With my catalog I never tried to sort by SKU because some of my items also come in with SKU's or GTIN's and they sometimes start with a leading ZERO which gets dropped when spreadsheets read the sku as a number instead of as LETTERS.

I try to use the Categories to keep like Items together and sort by the category in a spreadsheet.  My online store has all my order numbers as AA7868  then it went to AB8667.... once the AB's are full I think it will be AC8789  lol.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

That's fantastic information @Candlestore. Thank you for sharing. 

I think it may be challenging to change everything over to that numbering scheme, but I could definitely use it going forward. 

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

@TCSlaguna ;

Its easy to change over, the issue for me is when I change a SKU is that I ended up having 2 different Barcodes in stock then and now some will not scan   LOL  

Quick Example:

I started off with Scent then Size.  meaning    Lilac 28oz

This worked great till I started seeing how my website did things for 'Variations'

28oz Jars had 28oz as a SKU but would Append the Scent after 28oz.

This started to play havoc with my QuickBooks..... So I changed the SKU's in Square from Lilac 28oz to 28oz Lilac....

Scanned a few thought I got it..... Missed a Few now sometimes I scan an item and Square Says Item not found want to create it?   Oh Crap missed that one.... lol .....  not bad when the text part is unique but when you have 4 items that start with Pocono or Pumpkin..... it takes a little more typing to find said item  lol   But since my SKU is easy to figure out it is easy to type it in the search field,  instead of a SKU like "044081396447".  One day my son and I started scanning items to see if the 28 was in front or back, then for the items with Scent then 28oz for example I printed out a new 2D barcode to place on the bottom of the wrong ones.  At least if the front one was a bad barcode the one on the bottom would work.  

Also a Tip, do not use QR codes for a barcode..... PPL go around scanning QR codes with cell phones thinking they are magical and take you to a website or to pay for the item.   lol  Then get mad at you and say this just says Lilac 28oz, yea I know its my SKU.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 6