x
Super Seller Alumni

UPC + SKU

Anyone else require both  SKU and UPC for each item?

The SKU is the only way I can match up my items with my inventory software (Fishbowl) and the UPC is the only way I can scan items with a barcode scanner.  I need both per item.

Message 1 of 29
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: UPC + SKU

Hey @sciabica1936, thanks for bringing this up.

Right now, it's either/or: the Point of Sale app can't track both SKU and UPC for each item.

You can add multiple SKUs to an item, but your Sales Summary report will only reflect the bar code that your scanned at the time of the sale.

If you haven't had a chance already, you might find a solution with our partner apps such at One UpShopventory, or Stitch.

I can see how being able to scan both per item would be helpful for streamlining your inventory process, and I'll be sharing your suggestion with our product liaison team. Thanks for your patience as we work to improve, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @sciabica1936 and everyone following this thread!

I touched base with our Square for Retail team and the ability to upload both UPC and SKU values to the Item Library using the GTIN field is now available!

Note: Only Square for Retail allows you to do this right now — the process on Point of Sale remains the same.

For an illustration and step-by-steps on how it works, check out our Support Center: Using GTINs with Square for Retail.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Alumni

@Misomiso - I understand your frustration given how long ago this thread was started. I hope we have news to share soon on when the ability to add both he SKU and UPC to an item. 

We totally understand if not having this feature available is a deal breaker for your biz. We'd love for you to stick with us, but If you decide to go we'll always leave the door open in case you want to come back. 

In the meantime, I'll surface your request to the Product Team so they know another Seller is asking for this feature. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 29

Well I was ready to go with Square but not having the barcode and SKU is a deal breaker for me.

Ah that's too bad. Was a step away to but all the hardware and flip over. The inability to track both is mind boggling. 

I sell by scanning the barcode and order from companies using the SKU's. Been that way for 30 years.

Message 23 of 29
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @sciabica1936 and everyone following this thread!

I touched base with our Square for Retail team and the ability to upload both UPC and SKU values to the Item Library using the GTIN field is now available!

Note: Only Square for Retail allows you to do this right now — the process on Point of Sale remains the same.

For an illustration and step-by-steps on how it works, check out our Support Center: Using GTINs with Square for Retail.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 24 of 29
Beta Member

Can you please request this feature be made available on the POS app as well. Why only on the Retail? It's so useful and obviously needed by so many.

Message 25 of 29
Beta Member

I agree completely.  We need additional fields which are rapidly aligning with other global tools such as google shopping, facebook commerce and other software.  I would also want improved exports which include ALL attributed within a product and not just the convenient once for square to list.

Message 26 of 29

Related problem. I use different suppliers at times for the same item. Sometimes I get it from one supplier or the other, sometimes I have as many as four suppliers for one item, and they all use their own packaging and barcodes. My current program (imonggo) doesn't hav issue with this, It just comma separates them in the database. this does not work when uploading to square. Any suggestions? And when scanning items for sale, what fields does Square use for identification? does it look at SKU and GTIN?

Message 27 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ToddMI

It's my understanding that Square identifies items by the SKU number. We will also consult with our Square retail team to get more details. 

We will reach back out when we have more information. 

Have a good day!

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 28 of 29
Super Seller

@ToddMI 

When a barcode is scanned it looks for the SKU on Ipads in the Square Stand, and on a Computer in the Virtual Terminal it looks for the Item Name.  I found this out scanning some items that have the SKU and Name the same. But when the SKU and Name were different the Virtual terminal could not find the item. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 29 of 29