x

Way to accept credit card and gift card without manually entering card numbers?

I use Square for Retail and whenever a customer wants to split a payment between a gift card and credit/debit card Square won't let me tap/dip/swipe their credit card. It forces me to manually enter the credit card details which is slower and annoying. Is there a way around this that I haven't noticed? It seems like an oversight.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @johnnn - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋 Happy to help you with this question.

I'm going to consult with the Square for Retail team on this one to get the best answer for you. I'll reach back out to you here once I gather more info!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8
Super Seller

@johnnn ;

I am not sure which system you are using with Square, but I use the Square Stand with Ipad and I am able to do exactly what you are asking.  I remember 1 time I had to charge 9 different Credit Cards, 8 of which were all Visa Gift Cards for $25 each.   That was confusing with which cards I charged etc but I did not manually enter 1 card.  I will look at my Stand and see if can can get the wording on what to press to do this.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Candlestore - Thanks for helping out here!

I don't have a device with Square for Retail so I can test the checkout flow myself so I appreciate you stepping in 🙏

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

@johnnn 

Well I just went to my stand, after all items are in your Cart, you press Charge.

The next Screen will look like this, and you press Split top Right on a Square Stand.

IMG_20230926_100345.jpg

Then the Screen will ask you how you want to Split the total amount, 2, 3, 4 or Custom.  For this example I pressed Custom.

IMG_20230926_100358.jpg

Then I had to enter a $ amount to charge on the card.  Here I entered $10.00

Then I got the below screen and the Green Light was on my Square Reader waiting for the 1st Credit card.

IMG_20230926_100420.jpg

Then you need to repeat the process for each card.  You get 1 receipt per card and no way to have 1 Receipt for the entire transaction.   That way if there are different people in a party they all can have the receipt for their transaction, but it is annoying when its 1 person using gift cards and then their cc and they get 9 or 10 receipts.   

The screens might be a little different on Register, Terminal or android devices.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for the advice. Maybe it's because I use a Square Terminal with my Square Stand? It says "Square Terminal (No split payments)" on my Stand screen.

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

@johnnn ;

So you have the terminal connected to accept Credit Cards?  I just use the Bluetooth reader and have it plugged into the Stands hub.   I wonder if there is something on the Terminal that you could tap to Split the transaction there?  Sorry I do not have a terminal or I would try that myself.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 7 of 8

I just realized that I can swipe a card using the Square Stand swiper but not the Square Terminal. So I guess that takes care of the problem.

Message 8 of 8