x

Amount taken out of customers account twice

I sent an invoice to a costumer. They paid the invoices amount but that amount has been taken out of their account twice. But it has only been credited to my account once. What do I do?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Auntrae

Sounds like they have a pending charge on the account. This usually occurs if they entered their card information, and the transaction declined (wrong billing zip code was entered for example), and then tried again and the payment was positive.

What they may see on their statement is a pending charge. We send a void notification to the bank that the payment was not successful, and it is up to the bank to credit that back. Usually pending charges fall off after 24 hours. 

If you are seeing it is only charged once, and have only received payment once for this, then it is likely the bank put a pending hold on that charge.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Best Answer

@Auntrae

Sounds like they have a pending charge on the account. This usually occurs if they entered their card information, and the transaction declined (wrong billing zip code was entered for example), and then tried again and the payment was positive.

What they may see on their statement is a pending charge. We send a void notification to the bank that the payment was not successful, and it is up to the bank to credit that back. Usually pending charges fall off after 24 hours. 

If you are seeing it is only charged once, and have only received payment once for this, then it is likely the bank put a pending hold on that charge.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 7

Declined on the reader but the customer had the money taken out of their account and wouldn’t pay a second time. I had to leave and now I’ve not been paid for my work. How can I recover the money?

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Unpaidworker,

I moved your post to a thread where pending charges are discussed. Declines are sent from the customer's bank so if it shows declined, we can confirm they were not charged. It'll be on their bank to drop the pending charge so they can pay you again.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too since the Community is not intended for account specifics. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

I’ve had a customer cancel payment to add tip and then re-swipe and sign for charge. One transaction went through on my square reports but customer’s bank held for six days including weekend and bank holiday. Customer had to call bank separately to release cancelled, held payment. What a mess. 

Message 5 of 7

Hi, 

I have a customer upset because their bank is showing I charged her twice. I did search the forums and see it could just be a bank hold that will fall off but she ordered Sunday night , the duplicate charge appeared Monday and now Tuesday night it’s still there but does say pending. She shouldn’t worry yet, right? I triple checked and i only charged her once on my end.  ($31 charge below)

F944003F-C0E0-4FFD-8FCB-FD3FC6CF4A37.png

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @lisajo713,

Good to see you posting in the Seller Community again, welcome! 😊

With regards to your Customer seeing a duplicate charge, it is important to note that a "pending" transaction is not the same as a "settled" transaction. Think of Pending transactions as a temporary hold.

It is up to your Customer's bank to drop this pending status as Square does not put this hold on your Customers cards. Each bank also have their own timeline as to when they fall off. 

To confirm that you did not charge your Customer twice, you can sign onto your Dashboard then go to Transactions> isolate by PAN (last 4 of card). The results will pull every charge that specific card has had. If you only see one... it is a good solid confirmation that you only charged your Customer once.

I have attached this helpful guide on how to search through your transactions both in Dashboard and the App. 

I will also move your post to a similar thread here. Take a peek at @kellyj's answer and let me know your thoughts!

Hope this helps 😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7