x

Android Tablet running 6.0.1, but no option for contactless card reader

I have an off-brand tablet running Android 6.0.1, which according to Square's support matrix is a supported but untested combination for using the contactless card reader.

When I go to the settings page in POS, the contactless card setting takes me to a page where I can order a device or check device compatibility; there is no option to pair the device (as I see on, say, an iPad that does work). What can I do to get this option enabled?

Note that I can pair the device with the tablet (outside of the POS app, of course); this isn't a general bluetooth issue.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @klflote

Sorry to hear that the device you're using is giving you trouble. 

From what it sounds like, while that device might meet the minimum criteria that a device needs to have to be compatible with the Point of Sale app and the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader, certain devices just don't work with the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader.

An Android device may meet all the requirements for compatibility but still not communicate properly with the Square hardware.

This can be due to multiple reasons as there are thousands of tablets out there, but there's not a specific reason I would be able to point to unfortunately. 

If you decide to switch your tablet, we can check the compatibility for you before you purchase it. 

Message 2 of 3

Does square have a listing of "tried & tested" android tablets?  If you can tell us, once we give you the name/model, that suggests you have a 'master listing'... why not circumvent the make-work and just link the list you have, and update it upon special request from clients?

Message 3 of 3