x

Anyone having trouble syncing square transactions to quickbooks online?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Yep... Sync with Square stopped communication with Quickbooks online on 3/30/2016.  I haven't been able to correct the problem at all.  And neither has Intuit or Square.  Quickbooks tells me that the problem we're having appears to be part of a larger, escalating integration problem.  Until the two companies get this app sorted out, it appears that I'm going to have to go back to the old-fashioned manual imports.  Sux!!  I had gotten very used to the automatic imports... saved me tons of time.

Message 2 of 16

Has this problem been fixed? I am planning to switch from QuickBooks for Mac 2016 desktop to QuickBooks Online Plus in the hope of alleviating the exceedingly time-intensive manual entry of sales and subtraction of fees for five locations every day in order to reconcile bank statements. Apparently, Square does not offer the option of billng all fees once a month like traditional credit card processors. Consulting other nonprofit public lands organizations like ours produced a description of the Square-QuickBooks Online integration as a "morass" to be avoided. Guess maybe the best option is to try syncing, and if that doesn't help, continue our search for an alternative to Square. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Message 3 of 16
Admin

Thanks for your post @IRKPA.

It looks like the posts in these threads are from last year so I'm not able to see if these sellers are still having trouble with the integration.

I suggest reviewing Square's Support Center article for general information about syncing Square and Quickbooks Online, which includes information about what you can expect from the integration as well as what you should not expect. 

Additionally Quickbooks' help center has an article on what you need to know before syncing.

If you do sync Quickbooks online with your Square account and then run into problems we recommend that you contact Quickbooks directly on 1-800-488-7330.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 16

Thanks for those references, which pretty much confirm that Intuit's Sync with Square causes more problems and wasted time for most users than it saves. It's one of the poorest rated apps I've ever seen. Multiple references to individual transactions being transferred daily instead of daily settlement amounts are a nightmare to be avoided.

I've also just received confirmation from Square Support that "Square only offers per-transaction pricing. We don’t support custom or monthly pricing at this time." All very disappointing, considering that my time spent entering daily sales transactions into QuickBooks has quadrupled since switching to Square last year. Back to looking for a replacement POS.

Message 5 of 16
Admin

I'm sorry that the Quickbooks integration isn't suitable for your business at this time and I'll share your concerns with the integration team so we can continue to improve Sync with Square.

I'll also share your interest in monthly pricing with the relevant teams here. If there are any udpates on that we'll certainly announce it. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 16

My sales transaction inport option is still not working.  Have they come up with a fix to this problem.  All I get is it is a QB's problem or it's a Square problem.  All my other account and transactions work through QB's, so it appears to be a Square issue.  

Jeff

Message 7 of 16

We signed up with CommerceSync, which is one of the apps listed in Square under Accounting and Tax. Although I have yet to work through the backlog of bank and credit card transactions since activating QBO in early June, it seems to subtract Square's fees from each deposit as it's supposed to, making them match the bank records that upload automatically.

Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

@IRKPA 

Did Commerce Sync eventually sort all of your Square to Quickbooks Online syncing? I've been using Quickbooks Desktop for the past three years because of how terrible the Square to Quickbooks Online Sync app is rated. It looks like a total disaster. I'm wondering if Commerce Sync is working for you. Does it daily digest all sales and put everything in the right places? 

Message 9 of 16

No, we dropped CommerceSync (used only for one of our five locations as a trial) because it was creating more problems than it solved--and we were paying extra for our trouble. Perhaps it would have been a different experience had I not signed up immediately after switching from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks Online and was simultaneously trying to navigate all of the differences between the two platforms in the way our nonprofit was set up. I discovered that while CommerceSync subtracted the Square fees from the daily deposits to match the bank statement, it also created a bunch of new useless accounts based on our Square sales categories and imported EVERY transaction from the day, including cash payments, instead of only the daily settlement. 

Perhaps there is a way to customize what CommerceSync imports, but I was too overwhelmed during our busy season while trying to learn how everything worked in QBO. It turns out that subtracting the daily fees when reviewing the bank feed into QBO isn't that difficult or time consuming. I just go back and forth between the Square daily sales report for each location, which shows the fees, and split the bank feed transaction. It's a bit less complicated than what I had been doing in QB for Mac, and the monthly reconciliation process with the bank statement is much quicker. I recommend just to try syncing the bank to QBO and manually subtracting the fees and have not been tempted to use QB's Sync with Square app after my experience with CommerceSync. The reason I tried CommerceSync was because of the poor ratings for Sync with Square, but my experience in recent years with most "integrations" is that they overpromise and underdeliver or create more problems than they solve.

Message 10 of 16

Glad I'm not the only one. Deleting 3 days of craft show transactions was easier than editing them all. Seems a shame.

Message 11 of 16

Why did you have to delete transactions? You mean because of refunds?

Message 12 of 16

I'm not sure the best board to post this to but it's been so frustrating I'm putting it in General. Moderators can move as they see fit.

There are multiple bugs/issues with Square to Quickbooks integration in case others haven't caught it yet.

1) Sales tax calculation is wrong. QB support gave me 

INV-38915 as the incident report number. I have an idea that the calculation is being done on a per transaction basis and over thousands of them the rounding error kicks in such that your final tax liability report is wrong.

2) I asked how they are handling refunds coming in from Square as it's impossible to do manual entries at high volume. Nobody (Square or QB) has been able to explain it or point to a document that does. QB gave me INV-38868 as the investigation ticket number.

Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

I'm not sure if you're syncing to Quickbooks Online or Quickbooks Desktop, but I use Shogo to do all of our syncing to Quickbooks Desktop, and I haven't run in to a single issue. Might be worth checking in to see if they can help you as well. 

Ryan

Message 14 of 16

I am having trouble syncing with quickbooks online.  I did it correctly initially but was wanting to tweek something and the customer help from Quickbooks had me purge my account and now I can't seem to sync square.  I am beside myself with frustration after so many hours spent on this yesterday.

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey @KF512,

I moved your post to an existing thread for this issue.

You can try the tips listed in the Support Center article that @Helen linked below as well as Quickbook's article but you would need to reach out to Quickbooks directly as listed there if those don't fix the issue you're experiencing. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16