x

Cash Drawer slow to open

I use an iPad in a Square stand, along with receipt printer and cash drawer - all purchased from Square in 2016.  Suddenly my cash drawer has a big delay once we complete the sale and when drawer opens.  It is a long pause before we can insert the cash/make change.  

We have replaced the cable that runs into cash drawer and it did not improve the situation.  

What can I do now to speed this up?  It's painfully slow.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Hi @RofT.  Definitely an odd situation.  There could be a few reasons for this to have just started happening.  But I can’t think of anything you can do to correct it without first contacting the Square Customer Success Team on the phone.  Most likely, they will have you recreate the problem with a test sale, and then they will talk you through sending them a Support Ledger and maybe some other diagnostics from your POS.  Then engineers can then, hopefully, check that to see if there are errors or other messages being logged that might point them to a resolution.

I wish you the best for a speedy (no pun intended!) fix.

Regards,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 11

We’re having the same problem and have the same setup. Did you get any answers from the Square support team? I’ve been searching and can’t find any good explanation online.

Thanks—

Gezellig Home and Garden

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

@GezelligHome ;

Your stating that you have the exact same setup.  How is your cash drawer connected?  USB to the Stand or To the Receipt Printer?  I have a Square stand with a Networked receipt Printer, and Printer driven cash Drawer and have not seen any slow interaction between the two.  Now I have had issues where my Scanner or other USB devices would randomly disconnect from my Square Stand and then come back.  Right now for some unknown reason I am having this recently with my Tap Reader that is plugged in with the hub.  I keep seeing the yellow banner no Card reader.... then I will see another yellow banner saying Cardreader connecting.  This all started within the last week or so for me.   I am thinking it is some update Square rolled out and has had adverse effects.  

Call Square Support with the Versions of IOS and Square for Retail you are using, your connection type to your cash drawer etc and maybe they can help you.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 11

Yes we are having the exact same things happening.   Square you screwed this up you had better fix it fast.

Message 5 of 11
Super Seller

@GezelligHome;

I just had the problem where my Square Stand decided to stop printing Receipts and could not find my Network Printer.  My other Stand was able to find it and both were showing the same IP address for the printer.  I told my staff to turn off WIFI on the Ipad count to 10 then turn the WIFI back on.  This corrected my problem.  The IPAD got the same exact IP address and The printer had the same IP address as before.  I verified this by logging into my stores router and seeing the attached devices IP address before and after turning the wifi on/off.... but now it works.  WHY  IDK!!!!   When my employee logged out of Square to test there was an update which got installed but did not find the printer either.

Maybe try turning WIFI on off on the stand that is not opening your cash drawer fast enough.  ?

My square systems:

We are using 1st gen stands.

Square for Retail

Star Printer 1 (for 2 stands) network attached

Star Printer Driven Cash Drawer also shared through the Star printer.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for sharing your experience, Candlestore. My cash drawer is connected by cable to the Star printer which is connected to the stand. We have also had intermittent problems with the Square card reader but those issues usually can be resolved by minimizing or closing/reopening the app. This slow-to-open cash drawer is a new one that I can't figure out.
Message 7 of 11

This problem seems to be common and still not fixed by Square.  I would like to know when Square plans to send an update to fix this issue.  There is NO way that a cash transaction should take longer than a credit card transaction.   We are a school store and the students need to be in and out in time to make it to the next class and this issue has cut our sales by a 3rd because we cannot get the same amount of people through the line because of this slowness issue.   

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!   

Message 8 of 11
Beta Member

I have this problem when I changed from iPad to the Square Register. Many times it takes at least 5 seconds to calculate the change and open the register. This video is showing the fastest response time (maybe because I am only charging 5 cents without any change due). It's embarrassing because customers would stare at us wondering if we are calculating the change in our heads, then I tell them its SQUARE that is slow - when somethings gets updated, something else gets downgraded. Many of our customers were apparently aware of Square's increased amounts of problems. Just mention its Square ... everyone has an "ohhhh" moment. 

Video attached:

Message 9 of 11
Admin

@WBinc Just wanted to share an update with you that this is being fixed and should be available on 11.30

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

Fantastic! Thank you for the update! 

Message 11 of 11