x

Contacted +Chip reader Connects, falls off and needs reconnecting and now goes to sleep...

Since the latest update the chip reader is constantly in sleep mode.  Would like to turn off sleep option, as it is in a base and always plugged in.  What a pain to have to take out of the base and reset every time.  Our sales are briske, the we have tours, then brisk again...help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hello!

The Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader does in fact go to sleep, however this only occurs after 2 hours of inactivity. 

Make sure your Square Register app stays open, and your device does not go to sleep, as this will disconnect the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader. 

Re-opening the Square Register app should force your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader to connect automatically. 

Message 2 of 9

Reopening the register does not wake the chip reader.  And once asleep they are disconnected and must be re-paired..

I'm using an android.

Is there any way to prevent the chip reader from sleeping?  My chip reader is aways on power.

Exactly what kind of activity will keep the chip reader awake?

Message 3 of 9

@coffeemill The only way to keep the reader from going to sleep would be to keep your device settings to never go to sleep or lock the screen, and also keeping the Square Register app open. 

Message 4 of 9

My android never goes to sleep and is always on power.  The chip reader is always on power and never moves.  But the chip reader does go to sleep.  The only way to wake it requires re-pairing.

How do I keep the chip reader awake?

Message 5 of 9

@coffeemill as mentioned previously, not using your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader for extended amounts of time will also cause it to go to sleep. I get that this might be an inconvenience for you, but it is intended to behave this way. 

Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

There needs to be a way to turn sleep off.

I’m losing sales and can’t feasibly go press a button every two hours at my self-serve roadside stand 1/4 mile from my house.  

There should be a setting that allows control of the sleep behavior.  Heck, even if the button were bigger or more accessible for a customer to easily use...

Or add a simple setting in the square app to wake it up every so often... 

My register is always open and the device and the screen never sleeps... 

any hacks or workarounds?

Message 7 of 9
Admin

@willowskyfarm

We'd love to talk with you more about this issue, and have a special beta group for the Contactless and Chip Reader. This might be a great opportunity to learn more about what is happening with your reader, and test some firmware in the future. (Firmware is the updates that run the reader)

We'd love to have you as a part of the beta group. If you're interested, please join the sellercommunity.com/beta and our Square Contactless and Chip reader broad beta. We can get some information on this issue for you and see where we can help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 8 of 9

Constantly frustrated by this issue. Phone is permanently on, reader is plugged in to power, but every time we have a transaction the **bleep** thing is asleep. I’m in NYC. People are impatient. Nobody wants to wait for your hardware to rediscover the wifi signal every 30 seconds. A m talking about a line of customers who all have to wait for each transaction. It’s a problem and needs to be fixed. The reader should stay connected to wifi at all times while it’s turned on and should not have to rediscover when a transaction is entered, it’s crazy inefficient 

Message 9 of 9