x

Customer display disconnected after reboot

The customer display does not always reconnect after the nightly re-boot. The register screen shows Display disconnected on the top and the customer display just has the Square logo and is unresponsive. A manual re-boot usually clears the issue. This occurs at random on both of our registers. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Message 1 of 36
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

This update was applied to both of my registers early monrning on May 27th. I have not had this problem on either of the registers since then. It appears the fix was successful!  The updated software is 5.17.xxxx. if you would like to check if it was applied.

View Best Answer >

Message 15 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @pchrisb  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Square Register has brought you to the Seller Community😥

The nightly updates will update the Seller Display of your Register but to update the Customer Display, you'll need to complete a factory reset. You can follow along with the instructions listed here under the "reset your register" section. It may take one or two factory resets to install the most recent updates, depending on the last time the Customer Display was updated.

Please let me know if the factory reset helps! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 👀

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 34 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Beta Member

Thank you. Update did the trick. 

Message 22 of 36
Beta Member

We to have had this problem multiple times just recently so something Square did must have caused this in way of an update or something. 

Message 23 of 36
Beta Member

Any updates to this, still happening on two registers 

Message 24 of 36

@XQUIZIT @RelicRoad This still an issue?

Message 25 of 36

Not for me, the last update fixed it.

Message 26 of 36
Beta Member

Anyone experiencing this again? I did not have the issue back in the Spring, but the last few days the customer display has been disconnecting several times a day randomly including in the middle of transactions. I leave my Register on at night, per Square's recommendation, to catch all the overnight updates so my software is up to date. Any chance there's a another software fix coming? Thank you!

Message 27 of 36

We have two Square Registers and I luckily haven't had any reports of this ever happening here. We just got our registers though in July 22.

Message 28 of 36

Not seeing this issue. Sounds like something different than the original nightly reboot/display problem. It may be a hardware problem, I would contact support.

Message 29 of 36
Beta Member

Thank you for answering! It does sound similar to some of the issues others were facing last time form the comments, but who knows? I tried all the fixes you did last time except the factory reboot since it didn't help you. If it happens again today I will definitely contact support. Again, thanks for reaching back out and glad to hear you are not experiencing this again. It's very annoying! 🙂 

Message 30 of 36

i have the same problem that customer display disconnect. does the service has a email adress? software 5.33 app version 6.5

Message 31 of 36

Hi @wyj 👋

Thanks for reaching out with this question!

Have you had a chance to troubleshoot your customer-facing display yet? Here's what we recommend:

1. Make sure that the display is docked completely and evenly on both sides. There should not be any gap between the register and the customer display. Give disconnecting, and reconnecting the display a try.
  2. See if undocking and connecting the customer display via USB cable works.
  3. Check if there is an update your Square Register software by tapping ≡ More > Settings. Select Hardware > General > About Register. Then, tap Software Update. If there’s no update, your software is up to date.

Please let us know how you go!

Message 32 of 36

This has been happening to up for the past three weeks. The device updates almost every night and still no fix. It seems to be only when connecting the customer facing display with the cord. When plugged into the main display it's fine but not the ideal way to use it. Any NEW fixes?

Message 33 of 36

Best Answer

Hi @pchrisb  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Square Register has brought you to the Seller Community😥

The nightly updates will update the Seller Display of your Register but to update the Customer Display, you'll need to complete a factory reset. You can follow along with the instructions listed here under the "reset your register" section. It may take one or two factory resets to install the most recent updates, depending on the last time the Customer Display was updated.

Please let me know if the factory reset helps! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 👀

Violet
Message 34 of 36

Hi this has also been happening to me as well. I have rebooted several times even while mobile. Can someone please assist 

Message 35 of 36

Hi there, @Jus4U - Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your Customer Display.

If you have already tried performing the factory reset I mentioned above, the next step would be to contact our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here. Since you have a Square Register, your account has access to 24/7 Phone Support so you can give us a call at any time.

Violet
Message 36 of 36