x

Customers Credit Card not working after they update the expiration date.

I use Square to collect rent for my Mini Storage business. I setup monthly re-occurring invoices that allow customers to store and pay from cards on file. This all works great until the customers credit card gets renewed with a new expiration date. They update the stored card in Square but Square no longer charges against it. I get this message "xxxxx xxxxxx's card is no longer available to be charged. An invoice has been sent requesting payment.". 

As everyone's card gets renewed from time to time, this is a big issue. I end up having to manually charge their stored card each month. This is not a good situation. Can someone suggest an approach I can use to handle this issue? What am I missing?

Thank you

Jim

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @Old97MiniStorag- Thanks for bringing this up.

If you take a look at Tom's answer here, you'll see that you'd need to update the customer's expiration date manually. That way, moving forward, the new updated card will be charged for recurring invoices.

Hopefully this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 4

Nika, thank you for your reply. That being said I am disappointed that the SQUARE invoice and payment system does not accommodate  the normal and expected activity of  the customer updating their credit card on file expiration date. The fact that I need to read multiple articles that point to other articles that point to tip sheets etc. to correct this simple situation is unacceptable. SQUARE is charging top dollar for this service yet its not well executed. Reoccurring invoices should not miss a beat when the on file card is updated by the customer.  Please make this a priority for your software development team. In the mean time can someone at SQUARE please contact me and help me straighten this out.

Jim

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@Old97MiniStorag I'm sorry but we're not able to request calls/emails from our team through the Seller Community. If you'd like to speak to someone from our CS team, they can be reached here.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4