x

Error message "card not charged swipe straight through"

iPhone 6S was working fine with a magstripe / chip reader yesterday.  Today, upon swipe, it gives a message that says "card not charged swipe straight through".  Odd thing is that it gives this message only once after the reader is inserted and acknowledged with a pop-up message.  After the first swipe, the error messages is not repeated until the reader is removed and reinserted.  I tried an old magstripe reader and got the same behavior.  Tried both readers on an old iPhone 4S with same results.  Any ideas what's going on?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

@BobPaulJr - Welcome to the Seller Community, and sorry to hear about the trouble! 

To get going, have you had a chance to check out these troubleshooting steps yet? Often times removing a case or reinstalling the app fixes issues like this. If not, please give them a try. Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 4

I had tried all the steps short of re-installing the app.  It just seemed too conincidental that I'd get the same result on two different iPhones and two different readers.  In the end, I recharged the chip reader and then it worked on the iPhone 6S.  That's really all that mattered.  Not sure about the magstripe reader or the iPhone 4S, but they're not important - I turned to them only in an effort to get something working.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@BobPaulJr Glad to hear everything worked out in the end, but that does sound a bit strange. If you run into anything going forward, let us know and we'll try to troubleshoot with you!

Message 4 of 4