x

Help with funding online business

So the other day, I started up my online store and I have asked some of you for tips. Today, I wanted to see if there was some more advice that comes with starting an online business. What I'd like to ask deals with money in general. Mainly investing in my business, buying inventory to sell to customers (Video games, movies, electronics, etc.), and such. Unfortunately, since I do not have a job or any other means of funding my business, it could make it a bit difficult. Other than all of those issues, I want to be my own boss and self-employed when it comes to being a young entrepreneur so that I can make a living from it.

What would be the best advice and tips to fund my business, get the money to buy products for my store, and make a business plan?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Hi Ghost23,

You do appear to be ambitious - which is good.  Keep in mind that simply having a website does not guarantee you will be able to be self-supporting.  Getting a business started takes patience.  Many of us I'm sure did not consider quitting our day jobs before thinking everything through - what if questions come up all the time - you also need to consider things like health insurance and other benefits - can your online business cover those costs too ?    

Here are some common options available.  Note, some depend on the stage and type of business you're operating.

* Bootstrapping: This is when you use your personal savings or revenue generated by your business to fund its growth. It's a low-risk option as you retain full control, but it may limit your growth potential.

* Angel Investors: Angel investors are individuals who provide capital to start-ups or small businesses in exchange for equity. Look for angel investor networks and pitch your business idea to potential investors.

* Venture Capital: If your online business has high growth potential and a scalable business model, venture capital firms might be interested in providing substantial funding in exchange for equity. Make sure your business plan and pitch are compelling.

* Crowdfunding: Platforms like Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and GoFundMe allow you to raise funds from a large number of individuals who believe in your idea.  Crowdfunding can work well for certain types of online businesses, particularly those with a compelling product or story.

* Small Business Loans: You can apply for loans from banks, credit unions, or online lenders. Some government programs also offer small business loans with favorable terms. Be prepared to present a solid business plan and collateral if required.

* Online Lending Platforms: There are online platforms like Kiva, LendingClub, and Prosper that offer peer-to-peer lending options. These can be more accessible for some businesses than traditional bank loans.

* Business Incubators and Accelerators: These programs provide funding, mentorship, and resources in exchange for equity or a small fee. They can help you develop your business and attract further investment.

* Grants:  Look for grants that are specific to your industry or location. Government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private foundations often offer grants to support small businesses.

* Contests and Competitions: Some organizations and corporations run competitions with cash prizes or grants for start-ups.  Participating in these contests can provide both funding and exposure for your business.

* Friends and Family: Consider seeking financial support from friends and family. Make sure to formalize the arrangement with clear terms to avoid potential conflicts.

* Revenue and Profit Reinvestment: As your business starts to generate revenue and profit, consider reinvesting a portion of these earnings into your business to fund its growth.

* Strategic Partnerships: Explore partnerships with other businesses that can provide funding or resources in exchange for a mutually beneficial relationship.

* Cryptocurrency and ICOs:** In certain cases, businesses have raised funds through Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) or Security Token Offerings (STOs) using blockchain technology. However, this is a relatively high-risk and complex option.

* Before seeking funding, it's crucial to have a well-thought-out business plan and a clear understanding of how you'll use the funds. Additionally, be prepared to demonstrate your business's potential for growth and profitability to potential investors or lenders. Consulting with a financial advisor or a business mentor can also be valuable in the funding process.

Message 2 of 4

That sounds good, but what else should I think about when making a business plan? I mean, I know that I want to sell video games, movies, electronics, etc. I just don't know if there's anything else that's a must for my plan

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

@Ghost23 Glad to hear that you're eager to launch your business! I highly recommend checking out SBA to get tips on writing a business plan, planning for funding, etc. They have a ton of great resources there for small businesses and can really help you out as a great resource! 

Message 4 of 4