x

How can item photos be rotated? (without Marketing)

I'm creating items & assigning photos properly I'm choosing / importing them from Dropbox.  although each photo is oriented properly in Dropbox, when assigned to an item tile, EVERY photo is rotated 90 degrees to the left. 

what's strange is that I reoriented a photo in Dropbox to compensate for the 90-degrees-left, when assigned to its tile, it WAS STILL flipped on its left side. 

I know of the photo editor in the Marketing Dashboard, but don't wish to pay for it, especially because this seems to be a glitch on Square's end, and isn't something that I should have to fix by editing / rotating each photo on my own. 

anyone else have this experience? any suggestions?

thanks in advance for your help. 

Adam

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I can share some insight on this one @Candlestore @loribradeen. Sites like Dropbox and Photo viewers like the ones found on your phone or your computer have Machine learning abilities to analyze images and determine the "proper orientation" they should have. Since this is not a feature of Square (we do not analyze your pictures)  we will use the metadata found on the picture when it was taken and this will cause for images to seem oriented wrong.

Now to help with the fixing but still not looking correctly, here is what I recommend: 

Manually rotate the affected picture on whatever device or program you are using to see the picture and then save it. The key here is to rename the picture to something else as our server will serve a cached image if it has the same name. Example: RedCar1.jpg uploads and is rotated wrong, if I delete this picture, fix the rotation, and then re-upload RedCar1.jpg I will still see the photo wrong. However, if I upload RedCar2.jpg, it will look correct as our server recognizes a totally new photo. 

I know this is a lot to read but I hope it makes sense and it helps everyone having this issue. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Thanks for flagging this @RedsVapors. Can you provide a bit more information about what you're setting up from your Dashboard? Are you creating items in the Item Library, or are you setting up items from the Online Store editor? Does this also happen if you import images from your desktop instead of Dropbox?

I agree you shouldn't have to re-edit the photos or use the Marketing section of Dashboard as a workaround. These browser troubleshooting steps might help, but if this keeps happening reply here with the name and version of the browser you're using so we can take a closer look. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 15

I am having the same problem, always with photos that are portrait oriented on my computer, the store editor flips them 90 degrees to the right so they are landscape oriented. HELP!!

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Hi @bigswittersfan- to clarify, are you using our older Square version of the Online Store, or are you using the Weebly integration?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 15

Not sure!

Message 5 of 15

Can you tell from this? https://squareup.com/store/gildedeye

Message 6 of 15
Admin

Got it @bigswittersfan. That is our Square Online Store version. When uploading images to use there, the images automatically adjust to fit into the dimensions we have set as the default. @ Sean's answer on this Community thread goes into more detail about the dimensions.

Sorry I don't have a better answer or real resolution for you- since those settings can't be adjusted. 🙁

Feel free to reach back out if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 15

Many thanks, I'll give that a try.

Message 8 of 15

I have the same problem.  It isbhit and miss.  Sometimes they load correctly and sometimesbno matter how I change the orientation, they load 90 degrees rotated!  So frustrating to have to load on Google drive then download to laptop and load via website in order to avoid this.  It's a big waste of time.

Message 9 of 15
Super Seller

@loribradeen ;

I have had this problem and noticed it was the way I held my Cell phone to take the picture.  On the computer it adjusted it correctly but when I added it to Square POS it would rotate some images depending on how I held my cell or tablet to take pictures.  Even though I tried rotating the effected pictures in Square they would always flip 90 degrees.   I just ended up retaking the pictures that did that.  Very annoying.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 10 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I can share some insight on this one @Candlestore @loribradeen. Sites like Dropbox and Photo viewers like the ones found on your phone or your computer have Machine learning abilities to analyze images and determine the "proper orientation" they should have. Since this is not a feature of Square (we do not analyze your pictures)  we will use the metadata found on the picture when it was taken and this will cause for images to seem oriented wrong.

Now to help with the fixing but still not looking correctly, here is what I recommend: 

Manually rotate the affected picture on whatever device or program you are using to see the picture and then save it. The key here is to rename the picture to something else as our server will serve a cached image if it has the same name. Example: RedCar1.jpg uploads and is rotated wrong, if I delete this picture, fix the rotation, and then re-upload RedCar1.jpg I will still see the photo wrong. However, if I upload RedCar2.jpg, it will look correct as our server recognizes a totally new photo. 

I know this is a lot to read but I hope it makes sense and it helps everyone having this issue. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 15
Super Seller

@JJ_ ;

Thanks for the information about renaming the photos, I did the rest of the steps but as you mentioned did not change the name and was still rotated incorrectly.     I will try that with my next images.  

thank you

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 12 of 15

Thank you.  

Message 13 of 15

Thank you for responding,  I will try this as well.

Message 14 of 15

This is still an ongoing issue. Why has Square bothered to make changes to their coding, so their system doesn't keep rotating our photos for no logical reason? It really seems like Square cares very little about the feedback they've been getting since 2019. I would very much like to upload photos of my choice, and have them upload in the orientation of my choosing. Square, do you care? If so, can you take action on the feedback and fix this issue? Thanks

Message 15 of 15