x

Issue using Moto G5 & Moto G6 with "Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader" ? BLE reader ?

Hi,

I have the new bought Moto G5 & Moto G6, but both phones do not work with "Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader" ( working good with my friends samsung phone).

I already checked the compatible devices from Square website, it shows Moto G works, but it doesn't work with my phones, also I found from internet that, Moto G phones do not work with Bluetooth Low Energy properly, so can you verify what is the reason that reader not working, is that because of the BLE problem in Moto G phones? Or Square Reader's problem ? Or what I should do ?

Thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hey @kthdroid15, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up.

I went to check for more specifics on those devices and they are not tested to ensure that they're compatible with our readers. We are constantly working to expand support for hardware—we'll update our Device Compatibility page as soon as we have any updates for the Moto G5 and Moto G6.

Sorry for any frustration this may cause. Please keep in touch and let us know if any other qeustions come up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

Hi, I was wondering if there was any update on this issue. I am having the same problem. It acts like the contactless reader is attached and ready but when I put a card in it, it says it is updating the reader. Thanks for any suggestions. I am trying to use a Moto G6.

Message 3 of 11
Admin

Thanks for checking in @Mjinks. The Moto G6 haven't been added to the Device Compatibility wesbite — which means our Hardware team hasn't tested it and can't guarantee it's compatible with the app. You might consider using a different device to use with your reader in the meantime. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 11

How can Square not have more compatibility. The plain square mag strip reader does not work on my Moto G6!  I enabled all permissions and still nothing. Before chip cards, Square worked on every Android I ever tried it on!

Message 5 of 11

It's a sad day when I had to steal my old Moto G back from my son because the more recent Moto G 6 (with Android 8.1) will not work with the chip reader/mag strip. Can you PLEASE add this hardware soon? 

Message 6 of 11

I was wondering if there was any update on this? I have a Moto g6 which is a VERY common phone and am a bit surprised to find out myself that my mag strip reader didin't work with it. Guess it is still incompatible. In fact it doesn't look like any Square hardware is compatible with the G6.

Anyway just wondering if we can expect anything in terms of future compatibility or if I should just go buy an older phone. Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 7 of 11
Alumni

You definitely do not need to go buy an older phone, @aeneas1224

We test as many phone as we're able to, given that 100's of Android phones are introduced to the market every year. There are currently several thousand Android devices on the market, and we strive to support them all. We do our best to test and support as many of them as possible - you can always use this tool check tested device compatibility.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11

My Moto G6 used to work with the Square Magstripe, but stopped working a few months ago. I thought it was the magstripe itself so I bought a new one, still no luck. Could it have been due to an Android update? Agree with the other posters that the G6 should be high pri for testing (retesting?) bc of its popularity. 

Message 9 of 11

I had the same problem recently with a Moto G8 Power.  I couldn't get the Contactless and Chip Card Reader to pair properly.  What fixed it was going into "Safe Mode" on the phone.  In Safe Mode I was able to pair the Reader.  Back in regular mode the Reader worked as it is supposed to.  I hope this helps other people with this problem because it took me a while to figure it out and I didn't see this solution on this message board.

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your solution, @Blain_goats 🙌

Message 11 of 11