x

No "Swipe to Pay" option

I'm having a bit of a problem on both of my PoS. Every time I finish ringing up the item and hit the charge button, there is no "swipe to pay" text. So I'm left with my other options which is cash or manual key in. The only way to temporarily fix it is to restart the app/ipad and some time it will fix itself. But I cannot rely on that when I have a rush. Do you know if I'm doing anything wrong on my end? 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi there! Sounds like you might be experiencing some issues with your magstripe reader. If the reader is working correctly, you shouldn't have any problems just swiping the card after hitting "Charge". 

When your magstripe reader is properly connected, the area you described that says "Card" with the credit card icon should say "Add Card (or swipe)". When the card reader is disconnected, it will just say "Add card" only. 

If you are having difficulty swiping cards with your Magstripe Reader, please try the following:

• Make sure you’re using a supported device.
  • Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader.
  • Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.
  • With the Square app open, unplug the reader and firmly plug it back in.
  • Update the Square app.
  • Delete and reinstall the app on your device. See Apple support or Google support for instructions. Note: If you’ve recently accepted payments in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.
  • Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings.
  • Check for lint or dust in your headset jack. If you find debris, pull it out or blow carefully into the jack.
  • Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.
  • Check for corrosion inside your headset jack. If you see a green color, that’s evidence of corrosion, and you may need to take your device in for service.
  • Clear debris from the card reader slot with a card reader cleaning card or a paper towel.

If you think your reader is broken, you can request a new one from the Square Dashboard or pick one up at a local retailer.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Best Answer

Hi there! Sounds like you might be experiencing some issues with your magstripe reader. If the reader is working correctly, you shouldn't have any problems just swiping the card after hitting "Charge". 

When your magstripe reader is properly connected, the area you described that says "Card" with the credit card icon should say "Add Card (or swipe)". When the card reader is disconnected, it will just say "Add card" only. 

If you are having difficulty swiping cards with your Magstripe Reader, please try the following:

• Make sure you’re using a supported device.
  • Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader.
  • Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.
  • With the Square app open, unplug the reader and firmly plug it back in.
  • Update the Square app.
  • Delete and reinstall the app on your device. See Apple support or Google support for instructions. Note: If you’ve recently accepted payments in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.
  • Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings.
  • Check for lint or dust in your headset jack. If you find debris, pull it out or blow carefully into the jack.
  • Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.
  • Check for corrosion inside your headset jack. If you see a green color, that’s evidence of corrosion, and you may need to take your device in for service.
  • Clear debris from the card reader slot with a card reader cleaning card or a paper towel.

If you think your reader is broken, you can request a new one from the Square Dashboard or pick one up at a local retailer.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 2 of 4

Sorry, I forgot to mention that its the square up stand with the ipad that I am using. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it. Will update if it solved the problem or if the issue still persist.

Message 3 of 4

Hello @Donalds_Donuts, we would love to take a closer look at this. Could you share a screen shot the next time this happens? 

Below is a screen shot of my POS. It typically says swipe, insert, or tap to pay below the total. Swipe isn't included in my screen shot because I had to pull the iPad out of the stand. 

Also, have you noticed that your iPad is not charging when this happens? 

Message 4 of 4