x

No "card reader" this option in list of Setting on Square Register app

I bought a brand new contactless square reader, fully charged and turned my iPad mini 4's Bluetooth on already. Also I'm runnuning Square Register app under my account. When I tap "Setting" -> "Hardware", there are only three items: Printers, Cash drawers and Bar Code Scanners showing up, NO "card readers" option. I tried all of the troubleshooting guideline from official website already, but it's still not working. I choose TAIWAN as my country and now I'm in Taiwan but will go back to US shortly, does these issues mater?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

I've had similar issues. I have to pair my card reader regularly as it "disappears" from my settings. I can't figure what causes that since it is not battery related nor location related (sometimes it's next to the stand). I suspect some blue tooth interference. In any case, make sure blue tooth is turned on in your device settings then hold the little button until the yellow lights flash, then release the button. Your card reader should appear on your screen then and you need to either click ok or pair. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8

Thanks for kind reply! Actually I tried many times as you said, not only happened on my iPad mini 4 but also my iPhone 5s and 6. "Card Readers" option never shows up in Hardware, Setting on these devices. The same issue happened even I deleted Register app and reinstalled again. Bluetooth I'm pretty sure turned on, iOS and Register app are the latest version 9.3.1 and 4.37. Almost drives me crazy…

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Yes, if your country is listed as Taiwan, you won't be able to set up your account to take payments. 

Hurry back to the U.S. and then you can connect your new reader and take payments!

This video shows you how to get started with the contactless reader: http://youtube.com/watch?v=729_7hcIve0

And if you're running into trouble once you get to the U.S., please check out this article: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting

Message 4 of 8

Hi there! 

My country is Mexico and I would like to use it here! The people at BestBuy (US) assured me that it worked in Mexico and that I could use it... 

You apparently seem to imply that I will have to be in the US to use it, or is it only for the 1st configuration? 

I tried to connect through a VPN that goes directly to the US (my IP is located in New York, USA) and all my traffic is directed there... still no Card-reader option in the settings and when I try to connect either the bluetooth one or the "swipe" reader it doesn't react... 

I've been using an iPhone 6, and iPhone 7 Plus and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (all these devices with the latest updated OS). The Square App is obviously the latest available and I just created my account. 

Absolutely no luck! Could anyone help me and tell me if it'll work outside the US, to, if not, return the whole thing to BestBuy in the US asap. 

Thanks in advance! 

Message 5 of 8

Hey @Prodemex, welcome to the Seller Community! 🎉

Currently, Square is only available for credit card processing inside the United States, Canada, Japan, and Australia. The App uses location services on your phone or tablet to distinguish if you are in an approved country

We apologize that the Best Buy employees provided you with inaccurate information. Card processing in Mexico is currently a feature request. We will pass this feedback and your experience along to our product team. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with! 😀

Message 6 of 8

Please do what you can to make the Mexico 'feature request' a reality. There are competitors to Square already in Mexico. BillPocket and Clip. They already work with a Mexico bank account and have competitive rates. If Square can make Mexico a reality, there will be a huge demand. Especially along the border where payments in USD are commonplace.

Message 7 of 8

Hello @frederickd

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on bringing Square Point of Sale to Mexico. Launching in Mexico is not on our road map at this time, but I will make sure to pass your feedback along to the product team!

If anything changes, I will make sure to update this thread. 

Message 8 of 8