x
Beta Member

Reader for Contactless and Chip going to sleep and won't reconnect

I've had a contactless and chip reader for about a year and a half now. It has been working great, and it still works great. I don't know if there was a recent update, but now if I haven't used my reader after 8 hours, it goes to sleep.

Opening Square or reopening Square does not make it wake up. Pressing the button on the side does not make it wake up either.

What I have to do is take it out of the base, disconnect the reader in the software, reconnect, it fails, and then the reader shows up on the bottom as if I already had it connected before. I press that and there is a 50-50 chance it connects.

Please add an option to disable this. My reader is plugged in all the time. No need for it to sleep. The iPad Pro it's hooked up to is always plugged into as well.

You can probably imagine how frustrating it is to do this when I have a customer waiting to check out. I'm a low-volume store. There isn't always someone checking out every few hours. Then I have to do all those steps just to get back to taking payments.

Please advise.

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

This definitely sounds frustrating @PerroneTech. I will make sure to pass this experience and feedback over to our product team for their visibility on the matter.

Something I could recommend (if you haven't done so yet) is, performing a hard reset on your Square Contactless and Chip Reader. 

1. You may accomplish this by holding the power button until red lights (not orange lights) blink on your reader.
  2. Once the red light flashes, you may let go of the button.
  3. The next step we will want to do is forget the reader from the Square Point of Sale application and from the Bluetooth settings of the device.
  4. Lastly, you will want to follow the pairing steps one more time.

Hopefully, this should fix any issues you may be having with the connectivity.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2