x

Receipt auto-sent in error

I manually took/entered a payment from a customer today over the phone using the virtual terminal.  This card and customer are new to the system.  When I finalized the sale, the system took me to the Receipt page and told me that the receipt was automatically sent to an email that I have no record of in my system. I manually entered the valid customer's email address for a receipt to be sent and he immediately emailed me asking why "a****@y****.com" was also emailed his information. 

Needless to say, the valid customer is pretty upset that payment information was sent to somebody else. 

How can I unlink that credit card number to an invalid email address?  I searched the email and credit card number and only found the valid transaction today -- how could it be auto-linked to another email address...and why does it auto-send without verification from me?  How do I fix this so I don't lose a customer?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @julieharris and @ThePauls.

When your customers or clients use a payment card for the first time with a Square Seller, they are asked on the point of sale device to enter their email address or phone number to receive digital receipts for future purchases made with this card via email or text message. This means that the payment card, and contact information are then linked in our system, so they can receive an automatic digital receipt when they make a purchase with a Square Seller.

Square doesn’t share their contact information with sellers that they haven’t directly given the information to via Customer Directory. Even when they are receiving automated receipts after making a purchase at a Square Seller, the contact details are not visible to sellers. It may show an obfuscated email (e.g., e**@gmail.com), which is what @julieharris likely is seeing. 

If any customer would like to unlink an email address from a payment card for automatic email receipts, they can click Not Your Receipt? at the bottom of any Square receipt.

In your scenarios, I would encourage both of you to call us so we can look into these specific transactions and determine what happened here. We can also reach out to these customers on your behalf to show them how to unlink the incorrect contact information. It sounds like for @ThePauls, your customers payment card got attached to another customer's email address. Really sorry about this experience. Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

@julieharris This is very bizarre. We just had a random, but very lovely client send us a text message stating that she "wished she had come in for a cut and color today!" The problem is that she didn't come in to the salon today, and she was sent a receipt for services SHE DID NOT RECEIVE. Great.

We have cross checked this in every way, reviewed both client profiles to make sure their info was not somehow on each other's profile, and looked over the transaction with a fine toothed comb. Their info is correct on both of their profiles. Thankfully, her card was not charged... but we are completely baffled as to HOW this could ever possibly happen? Has Square been hacked? This is a very stressful situation. 

Message 2 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @julieharris and @ThePauls.

When your customers or clients use a payment card for the first time with a Square Seller, they are asked on the point of sale device to enter their email address or phone number to receive digital receipts for future purchases made with this card via email or text message. This means that the payment card, and contact information are then linked in our system, so they can receive an automatic digital receipt when they make a purchase with a Square Seller.

Square doesn’t share their contact information with sellers that they haven’t directly given the information to via Customer Directory. Even when they are receiving automated receipts after making a purchase at a Square Seller, the contact details are not visible to sellers. It may show an obfuscated email (e.g., e**@gmail.com), which is what @julieharris likely is seeing. 

If any customer would like to unlink an email address from a payment card for automatic email receipts, they can click Not Your Receipt? at the bottom of any Square receipt.

In your scenarios, I would encourage both of you to call us so we can look into these specific transactions and determine what happened here. We can also reach out to these customers on your behalf to show them how to unlink the incorrect contact information. It sounds like for @ThePauls, your customers payment card got attached to another customer's email address. Really sorry about this experience. Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 6

I saw a similar topic on this but mine is a bit different. I’ve noticed that after a transaction happens with a card that was not previously used at my point of sale, An email address or phone number Or Both Get auto populated. Again this is a first time customer using their card or payment source for the first time. I’m led to believe that there is some link of their contact information to the card that square is pulling to put up on the receipt page. Can someone chime in to confirm? I I ask because I have a client that is accusing us of nefariously somehow accessing an email address that they never provided but a receipt was sent to you. Upon asking the person that ran transaction they told me there was an obfuscated email address on the screen whose first letter did not match the email address on the client account. Thanks for the assist

Message 4 of 6
Admin

Hey @GearFixGo- Appreciate you posting in the Seller Community.

Take a look at Isabelle_'s Best Answer on this thread. She addresses how customer info is stored when it comes to receipts and also touches on the situation with the obfuscated email you're seeing.

Hopefully this helps clear up any confusion!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 6

All good. I had tech support reach back to me to make it make sense. Cheers

Message 6 of 6