x

Register Display Dims But Never goes to Sleep

My Square Register used to dim about a minute before going to sleep after the selected time had elapsed.  Recently, the display dims but never goes to sleep.  Is there something else I need to be doing.  (Reboot doesn't make a difference.)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Hello @DistrictArts and thanks for your question. I use the Register and it usually goes off for me, however when i came into the store this morning I noticed it was dim/but not off, which is strange/unusual. However during the day when it is inactive the display has turned off.

You can check under Settings >Hardware > Display. Here you can set the time it takes until it should turn off the display. Maybe toggle this around and see if that makes a difference. I hope this might solve your issue.

Message 2 of 7

Unfortunately, changing the time before the display should turn off makes no difference.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

I noticed some odd things today since I read your post; my register seems to do the same thing. I have to click the button at the bottom of the screen edge to make it go to sleep. i also kept getting a message that the barcode scanner was disconnected, even though it was connected, and working. So I'm not sure if this is a current issue. Sorry I can't be more help.

Message 4 of 7

Called Square (no trouble getting through to the right person).  They asked me to check a a few things and to upload a diagnostic file in case the next step crashed everything.  The next step was a factory reset.  Works fine now!!! 

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

@DistrictArtsglad it's working for you now. There is definitely an issue; my register is doing the same today. When you did a factory reset, did you lose any settings, inventory, or grid layout? I never did a reset and a bit cautious...

Message 6 of 7

The only thing the support person said was not to do a factory reset if you had outstanding offline transactions as those would be lost forever.  Once you do the reset, you will need to setup the correct wifi and then login. When the login is completed, all of your items will be restored.  Not sure about grids as everything we sell is one of a kind.  Transaction history is not at risk as that is stored at Square and not on the register.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 7