x
Beta Member

Restaurant Operator Scratching my head...... Modifiers

Cafe using Square for Restaurants for in-house POS, QR ordering & online ordering. It has its pluses & minuses. As big a market segment as restaurant is - Square falls just short in so many areas.... I don't understand the lack of focus 😞

So today's issue. There is an item modifier called EXTRA PROTEIN where the person placing the order can choose to add EXTRA chicken, ham, bacon etc for an additional charge $. This modifier is applied to almost all food items because it is VERY COMMON.... to add additional protein to an item.

We also make our own Quinoa Veggie Patty. So within this modifier is the option to - in capital letters - SUB VEGGIE PATTY FOR PROTEIN - with a $0 charge because people have the option to substitute the veg patty for no charge. 

Of course - the shysters like to order an item that does not contain protein - then use this modifier to add a veg patty for no charge. Not cool.... you got me.

So..... I remove the the SUB PATTY button from the Add Protein MOD to create its own  SUB PATTY modifier. Then, I need to add the SUB PATTY modifier to all the items that may need that option.  There is no ability in the individual modifier to make it required or not required (even though that setting would apply to all the items the mod would be applied to...??) 

So I apply the SUB PATTY mod to menu items.... now EVERY ONLINE ORDER says SUB PATTY.......What the!?!?  Now I have to manually go into every menu item and change the required modifier from 1 to 0 so the option is available but not forced - great use of time Square. That should be an available setting in the specific modifier with the ability to change for each item - not the other way around..... Sad 😞

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @xyz - Thanks for sharing your feedback here on the Seller Community 👋

Sorry to hear this process has been confusing and frustrating so far 😞

For recommendations for your Online Item setup with modifiers, I'd like to loop in a few of our Super Sellers who may have some helpful tips and suggestions of their own: @LLCafe @Donnie-M @jjsmeatshak1

I hope this gets the conversation going! 🗣

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2