x

Says zip code error even though it is correct

When I go to charge a card it says the zip code is not correct. However I know that it is the right zip code. Is it possible that the transaction is declining due to insufficient funds? Or is it really the zip code that's the problem

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @shawna1969!

Welcome to the Seller Community! Credit card declines are interesting because there is a possibility of both issues causing the same decline. The zip code could be off or it could be insufficient funds, the customers bank doesn't provide us with details. Typically we recommend having your customer reach out their bank to clear this up. 

Message 2 of 4

I have one client that pays me with a credit card every month same card same information this month keeps coming up declined verify zip code what could be the problem?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Hoodductcleaner! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread in the Community around declines for zip codes.

When card information is inputted- we connect directly with the bank to verify that the information is correct. If something comes up incorrect, it's because of a discrepancy. Have your customer reach out to their bank to verify their billing zip code and AVS before they try again. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4