x

Should there be a delay before searching by SKU?

The SKU search is quite slow.  It seems to wait about 4 seconds before it starts the search.  But heaven forbid you type one character, such a "A" and pause briefly.  It takes forever to come back because it's finding everything with an A.  This needs to be debounced, or an option to have a GO for the search.

If I type 8 characters of a complete SKU, it starts search on the 5th character.  My searches are taking a minumum of 4 seconds.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square

@Brian47 - Apologies for the delay in following up! I'd be more than happy to take a closer look at this for you. To get going, since your issue is a little more specific than the thread you posted on, I went ahead and broke it out into its own post. As for the issue you're describing, I do have a few questions:

Are you referring to the in-app experience or dashboard?

If in-app, are you using Square Point of Sale or Square Retail? 

Approximately how many items do you have? 

Look forward to hearing back! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 5

In App experience.

Square retail.

I had 20,000 items.  The system goes comatose with 40,000 items.

Message 3 of 5

I can see also a typo above which confuses the problem: 

If I type 8 characters of a complete SKU, it stops search on the 5th character.  My searches are taking a minumum of 4 seconds.

I would also add if I type slowly,  A... 1... 2... 3  of a SKU, it starts searching on the A, and finds 1000's of items with A in them.  Needs a little debouncing.

Regards

Brian

Message 4 of 5
Square

@Brian47 - Thanks for confirming. With such a large item library, this does seem like an anticipated behavior, as it searches your entire database digit by digit if you enter them individually. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you aren't using a scanner? By using one, this issue should be eliminated. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 5