x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

So my Reader which takes Swipe or Chip will only take a manual entry which of course costs more in Square Fees.  When I go into setting it says (1) device connected by when I open it is says connecting.

Any thoughts

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 106
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

So sorry to hear about the issues! With a little troubleshooting, we should be able to get you up and running. 

To get started, please try out these tips from our Support Center article: Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device. Check out our Device Comptability page to double check.
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 
  • If you see “Please try inserting again, chip could not be read,” remove the card and insert it again until you hear a click. Keep the card in place until the payment completes.
  • If you see the message “Reader Damaged,” the reader is broken and you’ll need to request a new one.
  • If you’re using an Apple device, make sure the audio volume balance is exactly in the middle. To check, visit your device’s settings > tap General > Accessibility. Scroll down to the hearing section and move the “audio volume balance” directly in the middle.
  • If you’re using an Android device, make sure that any audience enhancement features (such as One M8, Clari-fi, or Beats Bass Boost) are turned off – they can disrupt the connection between your reader and device.
  • If you see the error message, “Register needs VoiceOver to be turned off,” go to your device settings and tap General > Accessibility > VoiceOver and turn off VoiceOver. This may also be “S Voice” or “Talkback” on your device. If that doesn’t do the trick, turn off Mono Audio from your device settings.

If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, you can go ahead and submit a warranty claim.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

Helen, I appreciate your offer to return my card/chip reader, but when I put the Serial Number that is written on the reader, it says it is not a valid number.

Can you please check: 727L5093000675

Message 43 of 106
Admin

Sorry to keep you waiting @Wah! I'm not able to look up the serial number but when you go to the returns and warranty form, click the second option: Exchange hardware under warranty. For some reason the form automatically check the first option which is for returns in the last 30 days.

If you're still having trouble entering your serial code please contact our Support team

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 44 of 106
Admin

I'm very sorry to hear that @janbee!

Sometimes if a reader dropped/handled roughly in shipping it triggers a failsafe put into place to ensure the security of your chip card reader — which ultimately causes the reader not to function properly. You can also file a warranty claim for your readers here

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 45 of 106

I've done everything you've suggested. I have a chip/magstripe reader Square. Used it for only the 3rd time today - or tried to - and it wouldn't read the chip or the magstripe. When I "rang up" the sale, it said the reader was connected and to swipe the reader. Thought it would give me an option of chip or reader. Anyway, I tried to swipe and still, nothing happened. Had to enter the info manually which of course incurs a higher fee. Won't read the chip or the magstripe. I have an iPhone.

Message 46 of 106

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Square Chip Card Reader not working properly" The author has been notified via email.

I BOUGHT THE SQUARE CHIP CARD READER WITH THE SWIP PLUG IN INTO MY IPAD 2. IT WORKED FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS BUT AFTER THAT IT DID NOT WORK. IT WAS KEPT ON SAYING CONNECTION TO THE SQUARE READER AND IT WAS KEPT ON SPINNING TO LOGIN. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS SQUARE CHIP CARD READER TO MAKE IT WORK AGAIN. I DID CHECK MY IPAD MODEL BEFORE I PURCHASED IT.

Message 47 of 106

I went into Settings and turned off Mono Audio and that did the trick.

Message 48 of 106

Our chip card reader quit working last night in the middle of our open house after 6 months +/- of flawless performance.  We keep the reader plugged in to the dock (charging cradle) so it always has power.  We made sure the dock was plugged in and tried taking the reader out of and back into the dock.  The reader would "wake up" for a second and then the one red light would flash.  After trying the troubleshooting steps listed here twice we took the reader out of the dock and plugged it directly into a usb charger.  Ah ha!  It powered up!  The reader was dead!  It is not charging on the dock anymore. So I guess we need to submit a warranty claim.   I am posting this as I thought it was the reader as others have posted but it looks like the dock is the problem for us.

Message 49 of 106
Square

@dancestore - So sorry to hear about the trouble, and thanks for sharing. It's great advice to consider during the troubleshooting process! You can file a warranty exchange for your dock here.

Sean
he/him/his
Message 50 of 106

Our replacement reader and stand has now broken down. After doing suggested trouble shooting steps I went so far as to delete the Square App, reset the Ipad and reinstall. Lost my cash drawer balance. The reader does not seem to be charging on the stand. When I plug it in with a different cord to power it lights up when I turn it on and then dies. I'll be submitting a warranty claim again. At least it doesn't start on fire like that cell phone!
Message 51 of 106

I ordered a chip card reader for $49 last summer as soon as they were announced, and it shipped in September. The chip card reader worked at first, but the blue tooth has since completely stopped working. I've tried to reset, uninstall, reinstall, and learned it can't be hard wired to the phone due to its design. recently I learned there is a new chip card reader that plugs into the phone (like the old magnetic strip readers).

These are not visible on the Square website, here it is on Amazon: Ama-chip.jpg

Why isn't this available through Square? I need a replacement for my chip card reader as soon as possible, because using the old magnetic strip reader doesn't provide chip security.

Message 52 of 106
Square

@artistjane You can definitely still order a chip reader on our site, check out squareup.com/shop/reader

Message 53 of 106

Thank you, Kelly. I did get one and have started using it. 

Message 54 of 106

Chip/magstrip reader doesn't connect when snapped all the way in

Message 55 of 106
Square

@robinsonjesse77 - So sorry to hear about the trouble! Please check out this troubleshooting thread for more help on how to get this resolved. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 56 of 106

The touted feature of allowing chip cards to be swiped is no longer available in the settings on either an iPad or iPhone.

This is a must as the small readers all show as damaged and the larger come and go with the wind.

What can be done.  Register EXCUSE ME Point of Sale is useless if I can't swipe a chip card when the planets do not align.

Message 57 of 106
Square

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @dbltoe. I moved your post over to a related thread. Check out the tips Sean provided on the first page to troubleshoot your reader! If you're still having trouble, contact our support team directly we can take a look.

Message 58 of 106

So FINALLY an answer from tech support after over a month....and its pretty amazing that it took tht long considering what the answer was. 
They told me to turn up the volume on the not pad....so I went into settings and maxed out every volume bar I could find in every setting app. widget, etc.  Plugged in the reader and it sat there once again trying to initialize the reader.  While it was doing this I reach behind it and pushed the volume button on the back of the table.  The volume bar appeared and looked to be at approx. 70% max volume.....so I held it until it went to the 100% max position.  The chip reader immediately connected.  First Time.  So I went to try a transaction and to my absolute delight.....was able to finally read a chip.....and it occurred quickly.  So I think its solved......seems simple, wish I had known. 

Message 59 of 106

Just wanted to thank you for your post!  I played around with the volume settings and it worked!  my chip/mag strip reader is working again after 3 weeks.

Message 60 of 106

Have 2 chip/magstrip readers. Problem is they rarely will connect, then if by chance do connect sometimes reads chip for a charge, but only gives me option for cash sale.  I have to change back to magstrip reader.

Message 61 of 106
Square

Sorry to hear that, @cades. I moved your post to another thread on this topic, check out Sean's response on the first page, thanks!

Message 62 of 106

Cannot get swipe or chip reader to confirm cred card.  volume turned up.  Can hand key info but if someone is out of country I am out of luck.  HELP!!!

Message 63 of 106