x

Square Dashboard (items loading) is extremely slow

Hi,

I am having issue with uplading new items in the Square dashboard.

I am trying to upload new items in the item library and it literally takes a couple minutes for the page to load up.

I think we currently have roughly 8000 items in the item library we already uploaded and I know the problem persisits as we load more items in the library, but is there any way to speed things up?

Please advise.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @yjlanham

You can add an unlimited number of items to your item library, but things usually start to get slow once you get closer to the 10,000 item mark. 

Unfortunately there's not much we can help in regards to this since it takes more time to load more items. 

What type of business were you using the Item Library for? 

Message 2 of 14

Have 800 items under one category now delay lag when trying to enter new item.  What is causing this?

Message 3 of 14
Admin

@busysheila How many items do you have in total? As EJ mentions in this thread, the Item Library will start to slow at 10,000 items.

We recently fixed an issue that was causing a delay when trying to add new items to an existing category, when there was several hundred items (on iOS devices only). Have you updated the Point of Sale app recently? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 14

No other items than these.  And I have not updated software.  I saw here in another thread how to do...and I also will reboot.  So, I gather from your response 800 items under one category should not be posing this lag?  Its taking so long to post a new item...its not gonna be feasible.  I thought I would make a new category and move the items that have sold off to that one and see if that helped.  It just started doing this about 50 items ago, prior it was fine.  When I try to add an item to a new category or without assigining a category its just fine.  Its only when you are in my category. 

If you can think of any other reasons I'd be so appreciative...thanks for responsing.

Message 5 of 14

responding.  : )

Message 6 of 14
Admin

@busysheila Yes I'd recommend going through the troubleshooting steps listed here: Square Point of Sale app troubleshooting. Make sure that you're running the latest version of the app by checking for an update to the App Store (or you can delete and reinstall the app if you haven't taken any payments in Offline Mode recently).

These troubleshooting steps usually resolve most issues with the app, but if the app is still very slow go ahead and call our Customer Success team or reply here and I'll start an email case for you. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 14

I have about 1800 items on my dashboard and it is going super slow. It’s next to impossible to create new items and now I’m deleting older items. Any way to fix this?

Message 8 of 14

Hi @RSWDSD and welcome to the Seller Community! You can export your item library, make changes in the CSV file, and then import the changes back in. This may help alleviate some of the load times as you work through your item library. Here is a link to a help page explaining how to import and export your item library from the Square Dashboard.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 14
Beta Member

This is pathetic. You have a RETAIL POS app. It should not be slowing down due to the number of items.  Square needs to get their POS (let's just say this doesn't mean point of sale...), POS together. 

Message 10 of 14
Beta Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Square is proving itself to not be cut out for Retail business.  We are small businesses, not Wal Marts.  This is pathetic and their reasonings are coming off as lame excuses.  

Message 11 of 14
Beta Member

Hello Ashley.  I must say, this is quite frustrating and Square needs to step up and solve the issue.  In a nutshell, unfortunate to say, Square CANNOT handle retail businesses as of right now.  This is a simple excuse and you cannot expect businesses to operate in such.  

I have been trying to update my stock counts in one category, which Square had to split into two separate categories (another significant inconvenience), and the dashboard keeps popping up a wait for page to respond box.  
A task that should take my minutes to complete is taking me hours to finally just give up.  

This is absolutely unacceptable and I am requesting you, on behalf of all business owners like myself I am certain, to please escalate this to the right person. 

If Square simply says that we are at fault because we have too many items, Square needs to not advertise itself as a POS for retail business.  

Message 12 of 14

Hi @maleego - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult and frustrating experience with this 😞

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what's happening without looking at your account with you, but I suggest starting out with the troubleshooting steps for your Square Dashboard listed here. If this doesn't improve things, please reach out to our Support Team so they can take a closer look by logging into your Square account and heading here for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 14
Beta Member

I agree.  I thought it was my computer or internet.  I have recently swapped to all mac computers and now have fiber internet and I still have problems with items in the library loading slow.  Something Square needs to look at.

Message 14 of 14