x

Square stand & iPad telling me to press button on Reader to connect but it's already connected.

I've been using the square stand with an ipad for the past month with no problems. Today I noticed that the app said I need to connect the reader even though it was already connected (I know because I did a transaction). Regardless of what I do (reboot iPad, close app and restart, check bluetooth, etc), I still have the yellow band across the top of my screen telling me to press the button to connect. If I do that, I get a message I'm connected but the yellow band with the press button request does not go away. Hopefully this makes sense. Any thoughts on what to do? 

Message 1 of 31
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

@LAIDBACKMA Unplug the stand and plug it back up.  Restart ipad, app, etc.  I have seen the stand need a reset to fix some things like this before.  Also, just make sure your app is up to date in the app store.  If all else fails, take the reader out of the dock and hold the button till you get the 4 red lights as this is a reset.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 31
Alumni

Best Answer

@MHW 

After digging into this further, looks like our teams recently realized this error and are currently trying to find a fix.

It's a bit difficult to isolate the root cause of the error message because some devices are self-resolving, but so far, they were able to pinpoint issue to affect Android devices mainly with a small percentage of iOS devices added to that bunch. 

For now, they've tested a workaround:

1. From POS settings, go to Card Readers > forget all card readers.
  2. Force quit the POS app. 
  3. Open the device Settings > Bluetooth > forget all Square Readers. 
  4. Hold the button on the reader until the lights flash red
  5. Reboot the Device
  6. Re-launch POS, wait 1-2 minutes, and re-pair the reader.

A lot of steps - I know. Apologies for that. If you still aren't able to pair after these steps, reach out to our CS Team and tell them to file a bug for you (feel free to reference this post). This will help the Engineering Team get closer towards a fix. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Beta Member

The issue started Friday night in the 3rd hour of successfully using it. There were no other readers in the area. The customer chose to get cash for her transaction while I tried to figure out what was going on. I ended up getting our backup reader from the car and forgetting the first reader and thought that would solve the issue. (It did for the remaining couple of transactions that night). 

On Saturday, I had persistent issues and did research to figure out the issue and at least learned the quick fix of forgetting and then reconnecting quickly. My older daughter had a booth in a neighboring city so took Reader 2 with her. It failed fairly early on in her 2 hour booth. They were at a very busy location so she abandoned the chip reader and just used the swipe reader. 

On Sunday, I was with a different daughter. I had tried additional troubleshooting, including clearing all data from my network settings on my phone, and hoped that would work. When the issue persisted at Sunday's booth (in location #4 over the weekend so not a location issues, and where it had previously worked with no problem), we installed the square app for the first time on my daughter's phone and connected to the square that was not paired with mine. It worked for a couple transactions and we thought we had our solution, but then she also got an orange bar. And could not connect. 

It is odd that it works for short durations before giving the same error, but clearly forgetting and repairing for every or every other transaction is not a solution (and makes customers nervous that they are being charged more than once, when they are not)

Message 22 of 31
Beta Member

It may have been a network error, because the following weekend we were at a different location and had no issues, we then returned later that day to the same location we had issues at and it worked fine. It was very strange and I got no response to my inquiries.

Message 23 of 31
Square Community Moderator

I am happy you were able to get to the bottom of your what was causing this @Ivykeep . If you need anything else please let us know! 

Message 24 of 31
Super Seller

@Ivykeep ;

I have Galaxy S20 FE's and for some reason when I was on WIFI I would have a red banner and say I am not secure for Square.  I would Turn the WIFI off and use my Cell signal an all would be fine.  I then realized I had my business WiFi on a VPN, not sure if this is was the issue.  I did not  have the Problem on my Square Stands using the WiFi just the Galaxy's.  So maybe it is a WiFi network issue since at those events it is not a Private network but Shared setting.  Next thing is on my Stands in my Store I have 2 Card readers hooked up at all times to each Stand, 1 USB and 1 Bluetooth.  Recently I was having issues and switch Bluetooth readers between the stands for Testing.  When they are connected they show a 4 digit code for each reader.  Well now I have the Yellow bar that says Reader is Disconnected, but 2 are showing to my stand, I realized it was the one I connected by USB to the other stand.  So you may want to goto More-Settings-Hardware- Readers to see which one is connected or disconnected to see if that could be the problem too.  Square also just release a few updates to the App, on my Stands we are now at Square version 6.16.1 you may need to update your cells to that version from the Play store.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 25 of 31

I'm having the same issue May 2023. Have tried forgeting and reconnecting reader, checking for updates, rebooting phone...nothing is working. Google Pixel 6a. Have not used the reader since last year, as most of my transactions are in my online store. I also tried turning on two factor authentication, since it says it's a security issue and Square has driven me crazy with wanting me to use two factor authentication for about 6 months (I access my square account 99% of the time from my home computer). That also didn't work. So I tried running a charge, even though it says "reader unavailable secure session denial". And it went through fine (albeit, at home running on home wifi). Some real help on this issue would be welcome.

Message 26 of 31

Hey there @jkleffner I am sorry you are continuing to have issues with your contactless reader not connecting. Let's make sure the Developer Mode has been disabled

If you are still having issues please reach out to Customer Support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. I hope this helps though! 

Message 27 of 31

Developer mode is off.

Message 28 of 31

If you have the developer mode and still having this issue please reach out to Customer Support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. Our team will need to investigate this further. 

Thank you @jkleffner @Brandy79 !

Message 29 of 31
Beta Member

I have a Google pixel 6 pro and am having the same issue with my chip/tap reader. I deleted the reader and readded. I removed the app and reinstalled it. Still getting the error. I was able to run a chip card, but no tap to pay (and i was also on wifi when that actually went through- not sure if it would work without that).

I think the Pixel phones just got an OS update as I had 28 apps that updated earlier this week, so it may be something that didn't mesh right with the pixel and square updates. 😞 

Message 30 of 31

Having the same issue, "Secure session denial" popping up after 5-10 minutes of inactivity. I have been closing and restarting the app to process transactions, but if I don't see the message prior to ringing up a customer, I have to either start over or enter the card manually, which of course costs more to process. At least 3 times now, the entire pos app has crashed and frozen mid transaction. I had my wifi router replaced thinking that might be the problem, but that was not the remedy. I have been using Square for many years and have never had a problem until recently. Writing in May 2023.

Message 31 of 31