x

Virtual Terminal Manual Payment Failed

I already sent a request in for tech support, still waiting for a reply. I attempted to do a keyed transaction via the virtual terminal on my computer today and I received a message stating:

"Payment Failed. Something went wrong. Go back and review the sale information or cancel the sale".

I tried with 2 of my own personal cards to see if it would work, I've tried from 2 diff computers, tried closing the browser (Chrome), tried from another browser (Edge), tried clearly cache, tried quick sale, tried itemized sale, etc., and nothing has worked. Nothing is showing as even "pending" on any of the cards, tech support said it wasn't even showing in their end as processing. I just tried again, still the same issue. Anyone else having issues with this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Thanks for letting us know @wahminpa! This was actually related to a bug that we were experiencing yesterday. But it's now been resolved so you shouldn't be running into this issue anymore! 👍

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 10

I realize this is an old thread, however I am having this same issue.  I have been using Virtual Terminal with my Square Terminal for over a year with no problems until last week.  Now, when we try to ring out a customer using Virtual Terminal, once we click Charge we immediately get the same Payment Failed message as the original poster without the transaction ever going to the Square Terminal.  I have called tech support twice with no luck; they were not able to find a solution.  I have done everything I can think of; unplugged and plugged back in, turned off and turned back on; unpaired and re-created.  Software is up to date.   I am out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @fvteamsports - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with the Virtual Terminal has brought you to the Seller Community😥 I can certainly provide some additional troubleshooting steps you can try.

To troubleshoot this issue, double-check that both your Square Terminal and Virtual Terminal on your computer are connected to a Wi-Fi network.

If your Square Terminal is connected but the payment is still not processing, ensure that your Square Terminal is listed on your devices page for your Virtual Terminal. From the Virtual Terminal Overview page on your Square Dashboard, click Settings > Devices. Click the three dots to reveal the Edit and Deactivate menu options. Click on Edit to see the Edit Device screen. Here you can view the device code. Try logging out of your Square Terminal and then logging back in by entering this code.

Note: Your device must be listed as Paired to accept carts sent from Virtual Terminal.

Lastly, it’s always a good idea to try to restart your Square Terminal. Hold down the button on the left-hand side of the Square Terminal to reveal the Power off and Restart menu items. Tap Restart.

If these troubleshooting steps don't resolve the issue, then we'll need our Support Team to file a support ticket so our Engineers can take a closer look at this. Please do let me know if this helps. I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 👀

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 10

Hi Violet...thank you for your quick reply!

The Square Terminal is showing as "Paired" under Devices in Virtual Terminal.  The correct device code was entered on the Square Terminal.  I have powered off the Square Terminal and powered it back on again.  The problem seems to be with the Virtual Terminal (software), not the Square Terminal (hardware), because we get the same Payment Failed message no matter what payment method is chosen, including cash.  Once we hit Charge, the Payment Failed message automatically appears.  We are using a desktop PC for Virtual Terminal, on the most updated Chrome browser.  It was working fine until last Friday (Feb 24).  Your assistance is appreciated!  Thank you.

Message 5 of 10

Hi there again, @fvteamsports - I appreciate your patience here 🙏

I reached out to the engineers who manage the Virtual Terminal and they've made some changes on their end. They've asked me to have you retry processing a payment now that they've made the adjustments.

Please do let me know if it's working for you now. I'll keep an eye out for your response!

Violet
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for getting back to me!  Not sure what the engineers did, but it is working now!  Thank you for your assistance with this.  Your support is very much appreciated.

Message 7 of 10

I am getting the same error when trying to process a Direct Express MasterCard when using the virtual terminal. Please advise.

Message 8 of 10

Hello there @jlawrence. These types of situations are very unique. My best advice here is you reach out to our direct support team so they can take a closer look at your account and point you in the right direction to get this addressed. 

When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 9 of 10

I experience the same problem after setting up and trying the virtual terminal for two days. It is a hit and miss, not sure there is anything to do with the types of cards. 

Message 10 of 10