x

What are the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless and Chip Card Reader?

For the past few months my contactless chip reader won't process payment. It connects to my Note5, but when I press the charge amount and the reader green light goes on, it won't accept the payment. I leave the chip card in the reader for a while then a red light goes on and the phone says need to re-connect the reader. But the app says the reader is connected when I go back to the register screen. I'm thinking something is wrong with the reader but nowhere does it show there is an error. Very frustrating! 

Message 1 of 201
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Anyone else having the chip reader take a long time to connect?

Hey @hairninja76, I'm sorry your reader is taking longer than usual to connect - that sounds pretty frustrating! These pairing troubleshooting steps usually help. It's also important that your phone's software is up to date, and the Point of Sale app is up to date too! 

If those troubleshooting steps don't resolve this issue for you, please don't hesitate to call our team who can take a closer look. 

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

That's no good!

We have an article that outlines some of the best troubleshooting tips for Contactless reader trouble: Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting

Try these steps below to get your reader up and running: 

1. Force quit the Square app and reopen it.
  2. Delete and reinstall the Square app. Note: If you’ve recently accepted payments while in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.
  3. Turn your mobile device off and back on.
  4. If the reader and device are more than 10ft apart, the reader will have trouble maintaining a consistent connection. Move your reader and device closer when in use.

If these tips don’t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  2. While the reader is charging, use a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.

If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.

If that doesn’t do the trick, you can submit a warranty claim to receive a replacement.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 201
200 REPLIES 200
Alumni

@ryantilton

Can you try the troubleshooting steps in the best answer? Check the first page of this thread I moved your post to 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 190 of 201
Beta Member

I would like to know why the contactless & chip readers have such a brief life span, what goes wrong with them, and if they can be recycled. Neither of the two I bought in Aug. 2018 work. They were used for 4 months in 2018 and in 2019, not at all in 2020, and come 2021 they were unreliable and basically useless so I had to rely on the magstripe reader.

Message 191 of 201
Admin

Hey @DragonOcarinas, I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble you've run into with your reader. I moved your post to this thread where Helen and Kelly provided some troubleshooting tips. Have a look at the verified and best answer for next steps. Hopefully this helps get things sorted out.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 192 of 201
Beta Member

Hey, I had an older android (Samsung Galaxy) phone, but when I upgraded to a newer SG S22, it's not compatible to my contactless square reader. 

Any helpful suggestions?

Message 193 of 201
Admin

Hey @Krizz22 thanks for reaching out! It looks like a few other sellers had similar questions about the Contactless and Chip Card Reader. When you have a chance, please try out Kelly's suggestions in the Best Answer above and let us know if that helps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 194 of 201
Beta Member

So we just got a new chip reader from square and it will not connect to anyof my apple products.  I have an IPAd that we use for sales and my laptop.  Neither one will connect to the reader, it does not show up on the available devices.  Both devices are connected to bifferent hardware via blue tooth.

The chip reader does show up and connect to my android phone.

Why does the chip reader not work with Apple Products.

Message 195 of 201

Hi CHP, 

I am really new here, but maybe I can help. 

I had the same problem yesterday. I finally read a message on this community that we need to go to our SQUARE settings (probably your android) and tell square to recognize our new devices. 

It worked to connect an old reader to a new iPad. Try searching on the key work "paring" for more details than I can remember. 

I really hope this helps

Message 196 of 201

Hi, All, I tried everything in the troubleshooting article that the staff recommends, and nothing helped.  Finally I had my Bluetooth feature "forget" the card reader, and re-paired it.  Now the reader is working properly again.

Message 197 of 201

I keep having troubles connecting to the card reader. Messages that I need to update the app but when I try to do that there isn't an option to get to the latest version. Very frustrating as the card reader is currently not available to me

Message 198 of 201
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @les5 - 

Hate to hear you're having issues getting your Contactless Chip reader connected to your phone. Are you able to delete the app and install it again? I would recommend this as a workaround since your app isn't showing the latest version. 

Also, I moved your post to this thread where other sellers were talking about issues connecting their hardware too. I would recommend checking out the Best Answer on this thread if deleting/reinstalling the app didn't work. 

Kassi
Message 199 of 201

Hi there. I am having trouble with connecting my square to my device. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app. I keep getting the message that an app is needed to use the device when I try to connect via Bluetooth. The square device shows its charged..and also is in connect mode.4 flashing orange lights. Can you please advise me?

Message 200 of 201
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Twilah - 

I would recommend checking out the Best Answer on this thread or using this Support Article to do a hard reset on your Contactless Chip reader since troubleshooting the app wasn't successful. 

Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick! I am happy to circle back. 

Kassi
Message 201 of 201