x

What happens if a refund was issued to a card that a customer is now claiming to be cancelled?

Hello, I'm having issues with a customer that has not received a refund I issued. The customer is claiming that her card has since been cancelled that I issued the refund to. I have not been credited the money back to my account or received an email from square saying the refund had been returned. Is the issue something she needs to take up with American Express or how long will it take fir square to credit me the money back?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

What happened with this? I also sent a refund and was told later the card was cancelled.

Message 2 of 8

I searched that question but don't remember exactly how I worded it. Something along these lines popped up that I have a screen shot of but can't post here.

If a new card was activated with the same issuer, the refund is normally credited to the new card. 

If the card was cancelled recently (in the last two months) the card-issuer will reach out to the buyer with any further steps.

There's a third one as well for a card cancelled for a longer period than that but I didn't need that portion to send to my buyer (or non buyer I should say). 

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the info. It seems like on my end it went through, but how long should I give to potentially see it bounce back, or not?

Message 4 of 8

How do I refund a customer on a card they canceled and how do I add funds back on square card?

Message 5 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Markswelding and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an exiting thread in the Community around refunds to cancelled cards.

Your customer's bank should be able to re-route the funds to the new card if they contact their bank but you can only issue a refund to the card that was used. There's not an option to refund to a different card. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8

I issued my customer a full refund last week to the card on file, the money was already deducted from our account. She just told me that the card is no longer active as she got a replacement from the bank. So where did the money go and how do I get it issued to her?

Message 7 of 8
Alumni

Hey there @RenoTahoeRC 👋

Sorry to hear about this. Seems like a stressful situation for both you and your customer. 

I've moved your post to a thread where another Seller had the same issue. Check out @ashc_'s response above. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8