x

Why are taxes included in price not calculating correctly?

Hi all,

I just paid my quarterly sales and use taxes and as usual had to double check my Square reports to make sure everything was accurate. After fixing a few anomalies (my fault for not setting things up properly), I noticed that the numbers square was calculating for my taxes due were incorrect. Allow me to explain, I include a 7.25% tax rate in the price of my items, so if I sell an item at $100 the actual price should be $92.75 and the taxes $7.25. But that is not what square is calculating. For example, I sold 4 items at $40 (tax included) so $160 total; the actual price without tax should be $160/1.0725 = $149.18 and the tax should be $10.82. Square calculated the price to be $149.20 and the tax $10.80, which is actually less than 7.24% which is not the correct tax rate (and yes I did double check that it was set to 7.25%). I know this is only $0.02 difference, but when you have enough sales these discrepancies add up significantly. Is anyone else experiencing tax calculation issues? And any idea why this is happening? If this is a common issue I wonder how many Square users are underpaying on taxes.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@JoshuaThJeweler , due to rounding, you can't lump many sales into one and then use that to calculate the rate.  4 $40 sales is not the same as 1 $160 sale.

each $40 sale would be $37.30 ($37.2960) with 2.70 in tax.  4 x $2.70 is $10.80 in taxes.

one $160 sale is $149.18  ($149.1841) with $10.82 in tax.

So your math is correct except you have to deal with individual transactions to calculate the tax just like you do while the transactions are taking place.

Message 2 of 3

Thanks Bob,

I'm glad there's a sensible explanation although that does make auditing things more tricky now that I know it's rounded per transaction. And I guess I overpaid this time by a few $, oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks.

Message 3 of 3