x

Why are we getting Payment Failed constantly on busy weekend days only?

We're using an iPad air in a square stand and the chip reader. 

On Fridays and Saturdays, mainly in the evening we're having constant payment failures. It's sitting on processing for quite some time before failing. It's happening on both the appointment app and the point of sale app. Even processing a split payment when doing the cash portion it's taking forever. 

We've factory reset the tablet, deleted and reinstalled both apps. Tried it on wifi, on 4g that are both confirmed working. Essentially done everything we could on our end to solve this. 

It's mainly happening on the weekends so I'm wondering if it's a server issue , but I'm able to process the payments on my android mobile phone no problem afterwards. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

this isn't anything that we can help you with here as this is a forum to help each other out as sellers and not a place for account specific questions like this since we can't see your account.  I would suggest you call or email Square directly as only these ways of contact can help you with this.  without being able to access the hardware and see the errors it will be hard to diagnose.

You'll need your customer code to call.  Follow the instructions below on how to get it.

https://squareup.com/help/contact

Click “More”

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1  855  700  6000

Depending on your specific account, you might not have phone support available, or you might have limited hours of support. If your account doesn't have phone support, Email is the only way to communicate so that there is proper documentation of the conversations.

if you have a smartphone you can program the phone number with the code into your phone so it will be there next time, store it like this 1  855  700  6000,,xxxxxxxxxxxx. (your code goes where the xs are)(remove the spaces in the phone number).  The commas tell the phone to wait 3 seconds each and will automatically enter it for you.  Once you set this up one time it is there for all future needs and you won't have to go get your code again.

Message 2 of 4

I totally understand that fellow sellers cannot help directly.

But if someone had a similar issue it may help me track down mine as well. Especially because it seems to be day/time specific so far.

Today(Friday) once again around 6pm central we had multiple payment failures, it wound up working again around 8pm. 

During that time we powered the iPad off and on, confirmed our network connection was working, tried both apps. Still failing after processing for a minute or so. Once again I used my cell phone to process the payments successfully. 

I'm perplexed and support has been of no help. Which is once again why I'm reaching out here.

At this point I'm considering just buying an entirely new system, but I'm very skeptical of squares own register system at this point without much feedback out there. 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

it would seem to me if it is day/time dependant that maybe something or many computers are downloading a software update or at that time a podcast client starts downloading and taking a large chunk of the bandwidth.  Square itself needs a tiny fraction of a 1mbps connection to send just a few kb of data.  

Data Use with General Square Actions

Action

Approximate Data Usage

Signing in to Square Point of Sale

~ 8 kb of data

Declined payments

~ 4 kb of data

Completed payments

~ 10 kb of data

Issuing a refund

~ 4 kb of data

Resending a receipt

~ 4 kb of data

I haven't had a transaction timeout in probably 4 or 5 years and have done 50,000+ transactions in that time.

It's definitely not Square's servers as there are multiple million users using Square POS and this is the first post about the issue.  I wish I had more advice.   Run a speedof.me test when the issue is occurring to see what that gets.  I doubt it is your speed of connection but maybe a ping time possibility?

Message 4 of 4